B/S 19hp I/C won't start

Old 05-18-05, 04:13 PM
B/S 19hp I/C won't start

Howdy-

Was permanently loaned this mower by a friend, sold my push, the riding lm ran ok once, now it won't run. Description: The mower ran well, and then every 5 minutes or so it would slowly start to power down and then pick up again. Then it was every 3 minutes. Then it stopped and wouldn't start again. This occurred over a 1-hour period. SO - I know it has ran well, there wasn't a clear event that occurred, and now it won't go. Air filter seems fine, fuel filter is ok, I sucked as much of the old fuel out as possible and replaced it with fresh (after I ran the mower for an hour). I squirted a little bit of starter fluid in the carb and it ran for 1 second. Don't want to pay Sears $96 before I know I need to - anywhere to start?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 06:06 PM
Get Some 2+2 From Auto Parts Store And Remoce Carb Bowl... Clean Out Good And Squirt All The Ports With The 2+2 And Reassemble And Try,,,,

Old 05-19-05, 03:19 AM
The spray cleaner is a good first step but if the carburetor has heavy varnish build-up spray cleaners usually won't do the trick. You may have to remove the carb and soak it in a quality bath-type cleaner (I like NAPA #6401) and recon it with a Briggs rebuild kit. While you're at it, you should rebuild the fuel pump which should be integral to the carburetor. Post back with engine ID #'s and I can provide part number you'll likely need for doing such.

Old 05-19-05, 04:38 AM
There are several sets of numbers on top of the engine; I can only remember one off the top of my head without having to go out in the soaking rain to get the others.

42A707 is the engine model.

Reconstructing a carburetor...I'm all for trying but I've never attempted this before. Any idea what a small engine place might charge to do this? Would this be consider a minor tune-up or a major tune-up? Hehe...is it herecy to ask about NOT doing it myself on a DIY board? :-)

Old 05-19-05, 03:34 PM
Carburetor servicing is not for the faint of heart. It helps to have some knowledge of them if you are going to attempt such. An option is to pull the carburetor off and take it, along with your engine numbers, to a repair shop and have them recon it. Otherwise, if you are going to attempt - and I have faith in you - then you should in the least buy a manual for your particular model series engine (Briggs part #271172) and go to town.

Old 05-22-05, 07:37 PM
I cant locate a 'carb bowl'. There's nothing that matches my intuitive match for that name. What does it look like and where would it be? My carb has the air filter on top and then it goes straight into the calves, etc and then into the engine - I don't see anything that would logically be called a 'bowl'.

Also, in reference ot the suggestion to 'remove the carb and soak ib in a bath-type cleaner', won't I be 'breaching' a gasket or two to do that? will I need to buy new gaskets for the places where I disassembled the carb?

Old 05-23-05, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you remove the air filter housing, you will see 4 screws around the top of the carb. Removal of these will expose the bowl. You may need new gaskets if the existing ones break or are in poor condition.

Old 06-25-05, 08:34 AM
I didn't feel like getting into a crazy mess so I paid a dude to come fix it. He only charges $45 an hour b/c it's not his bread-and-butter. The normal 'mobile lanwmower fix it' guys charge $90 just to see what's wrong. I paid a total of $65 and the diagnosis was 'a piece of [something] stuck in the carb'.

And he reminded me that fix-a-flat stuff can make short work of slow-leaking-at-the-rim tires!

Thanks for the advice which ultimately made me NOT take this one on myself.