introduction and some questions

Old 05-21-05, 09:25 PM
slicey
Visiting Guest
Talking introduction and some questions

hi all, just discovered this forum last night(spent 4hrs in outdoor power equipment and sm. engines) and love it! i've got a few questions: what all is comprised of a carb kit for something like my dr trimmer/mower w/3.5 B&G engine? also wondering if the ryobi SS30 trimmer is decent for about 2-4 hours of grass(2 feet tall grass max) cutting per week) i've seen ryobi model ZR775 mentioned here and was curious as to whether or not it's part of a better line/class of models or same line/class the SS30 falls into but a different model year, thus new model #s to match? thank you for any input.
just starting a very small general yardcare business here in payson,az. beginning with electric stuff but looking hard for gas blower, trimmer, etc. and already know i'll be back to soak up new knowledge. glad to be here.
slicey

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-05, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Slicey, and welcome to DIY!

A kit for the 3.5hp B&S engine is basically just a diaphragm and gasket.

As for the trimmer, I would suggest a better trimmer. Low end trimmers don't last long when used for a lawn care business. If you can spring for a better one, like an echo, stihl, robin, shindaiwa, husquvarna, etc... You'll be better off in the long run with fewer breakdowns and longer life. I have some customers who do part time lawn care and use lower end trimmers. They constantly have problems with them and keep several of them so that when they need one, they might be able to round up one of them that will start. If they bought just one good one, they wouldn't have so much trouble and so many repair bills.

Old 05-22-05, 12:03 AM
slicey
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheese
Hello Slicey, and welcome to DIY!

A kit for the 3.5hp B&S engine is basically just a diaphragm and gasket.

As for the trimmer, I would suggest a better trimmer. Low end trimmers don't last long when used for a lawn care business. If you can spring for a better one, like an echo, stihl, robin, shindaiwa, husquvarna, etc... You'll be better off in the long run with fewer breakdowns and longer life. I have some customers who do part time lawn care and use lower end trimmers. They constantly have problems with them and keep several of them so that when they need one, they might be able to round up one of them that will start. If they bought just one good one, they wouldn't have so much trouble and so many repair bills.
thanks for the tips/info, cheese. i removed the briggs' carb to get a look at this diaphram and all i found was the gasket that goes between the carb and gas tank. however, the gasket did have an unperforated area in its interior about an inch square that lined up over, covering a shallow cavity on the carb's underside. there's enough material to form a "diaphram" that can bulge a little in or out over this cavity. a spring inside the cavity, which presses against the covering is also present. wheww, so is that the diaphram that you speak of?

Old 05-22-05, 10:18 PM
slicey
Visiting Guest
thanks for the tips/info, cheese. i removed the briggs' carb to get a look at this diaphram and all i found was the gasket that goes between the carb and gas tank. however, the gasket did have an unperforated area in its interior about an inch square that lined up over, covering a shallow cavity on the carb's underside. there's enough material to form a "diaphram" that can bulge a little in or out over this cavity. a spring inside the cavity, which presses against the covering is also present. wheww, so is that the diaphram that you speak of?

Old 05-23-05, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it. The gasket is a black paper type gasket between the carb and the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the thin rubber-like layer that contacts the tank surface.

Old 05-23-05, 03:18 AM
If this is an older engine and is a choke type you will only have a diaphragm (with a spring attached) and if this is a newer engine with a primer bulb then you will have a gasket and a diaphragm.

Old 05-23-05, 10:12 AM
slicey
Visiting Guest
sweeeet, i put all this back together after a good cleaning in a safety-clean parts cleaner. i set the throttle to choke, pressed primer bulb 2 times, pulled starter rope just once and varrroooom. man, what a warm fuzzy feeling that was!
EDIT: it never did that before nor has it ever run so smoothly. i love using my dad's tools(retired aircraft mechanic/part-time airplane maintenance inspector) it gives me the confidence to do a full rebuild if ever needed.

Old 05-23-05, 02:50 PM
Ooh yeah! Full rebuild. Uh uh!!! Keep up the good work, slicey.

Old 05-23-05, 03:29 PM
slicey
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61
Ooh yeah! Full rebuild. Uh uh!!! Keep up the good work, slicey.
i thank YOU very much, slicey

Search this Thread