Chipper/Shredder using PTO off tractor

Old 05-24-05, 05:21 PM
Chipper/Shredder using PTO off tractor

My brother has several large piles of branches & sticks and wanted to clear up the back yard. Are those chipper/shredders that run off of the tractor PTO any good. We have the 5hp chipper/shredder and it's almost worthless when it comes to doing 1" to 2" branches. Would a 10hp chipper/shredder be better and worth buying. Was just wondering if there were some good chipper/shredders worth buying and wern't to expensive. We would probably use it several times a year when cutting firewood. Thanks for your help. dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Dave!

I don't have much experience using a chipper, but the larger the HP the larger the diameter branches it will handle. I've never used one that operates off a PTO.

Old 05-25-05, 06:30 AM
MacKissic makes some nice chippers that are self powered or PTO driven. Here is a link to their website: http://www.mackissic.com/ I have a 30 year old MacKissic that operates of the PTO on my garden tractor, that will handle up to 1 1/2" branches. I also have a 25 year old W. W. Grinder made chipper with a 4 HP Tecumseh that will do up to 3" branches with a little patience. That design was latter sold by Troy-Bilt as the Tomahawk and Super Tomahawk chipper with larger engines (up to 10 HP I think) and they are very solid machines.

Old 05-25-05, 07:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
In My Opinion...Rent A Chipper

Hello: Dave

Using a large enough machine, to chip branches 1 inch and above, only several times a year is not really cost effective. Cut those size branches to wood log size using the chainsaw.

Branches in the size you mentioned, 1" and above, would require a commerical sized machine. Rather costly for occassional usage. Several times a year usage is or can be considered occassional usage and not used for commerical purposes, thus expensive.

Much more cost effective to chainsaw cut to size or rent a machine capable of chipping branches of that size. Renting for occassional usage is far more cost effective, in my opinion.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 05-25-05, 04:04 PM
Thank you

Thanks everyone for the good information and advice. Now I have something to think about. I looked at the link you suggested. Very nice selection of machines. Thanks again for all the help. dave