Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snapper Engine Replacement

05-24-05, 08:58 PM   #1  
Snapper Engine Replacement

I am thinking sometime that I'd like to get my Snapper running again as the one currently on it is shot. It appears to be a '79 model that has been in the family for a bit of time. I am looking for a very good replacement engine for it. The mower model number is V212P, and the engine model is 92908, type 1826-01, and code 78121108. I have looked at the Briggs Quantum I/C and I like that engine, but am not sure if it would fit on the mower. I don't like having to drill holes in the frame, but if that means a better engine I'll do that. I don't want to put too much money into the engine though. I will definitely need electric start or the Prime'N Pull system found on the Quantum. It seems that I'd get more starting from the electric start if I ever had to crank for and extended period of time. Can the Quantum's or the other engine that supersedes this one be fitted with electric start?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-05, 11:28 PM   #2  
Hello AJace!

What model quantum engine are you looking at? Sounds like you're looking at a small one, meant for walk behind mowers I would assume? If so, it won't work unless it's a non-compliance engine, and then it still would be a stretch because of different mounting pattern and crankshaft length and diameter.

I would suggest trying to stick with an 8hp or larger engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-25-05, 11:17 AM   #3  
Yes, it is a regular walk-behind with self-propel. The engine on there right now is a 3.5 HP.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-05, 11:19 PM   #4  
Oh shoot....I was thinking you had a riding mower. I re-read your post and apparently I just assumed riding mower. (when someone says snapper, a mental image of the classic Forrest Gump riding mower pops into my mind). That's what I get for assuming. I could have known by the model # you showed. Oh well, now that I've embarrassed myself....

The quantum should have the same bolt pattern as the old 3.5hp. I am not a fan of the electric start on these though, and would not reccomend it. When the engine is right, it should start on the first pull anyway. The quantum will have an engine brake that your mower is not set up for. This brake can be removed or the mower can be updated to work with it.

What's wrong with the old engine? According to the numbers you posted, it's a '78 model engine, so you are probably dead-on with the age of the mower. Those were pretty good engines, and if the problem is just carburetion or ignition, it might be worth fixing.

God bless!

05-26-05, 08:56 AM   #5  
I've probably had it in the shop 2-3 times already & they haven't been able to fix me up right. It takes way to many pull to start, probably because it has to pull the fuel up from the tank. They replaced the point & consender, worked on the carb. I'm done with this engine, and just want a working new one. It had lots of power when it ran, but now it smokes oil like crazy. I've heard that the I/C engines are not clearing the chutes properly like they should. Why don't you recommend electric start on these models? Is it me or do the I/C engines seem to fail more on their compression and need valve jobs done more often?

Last edited by AJace; 05-26-05 at 09:35 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-05, 12:15 AM   #6  
From my experience, the I/C engines (small ones made for mowers like yours) last longer by far. Especially when it comes to cylinder life. Valve jobs don't seem to care whether it's an I/C or not.

The electric start is trouble prone on just about any small engine in that category. The batteries are expensive and generally short-lived. The starters usually last ok, but the drive assembly likes to hang up with all the dust buildup that gets on it. And, it's just more weight and one more thing to break. Tha't just my take on it, and if it's a feature you think you would benefit from, then go for it. It's not a terrible setup, I just am not fond of it.

God bless!

05-27-05, 11:07 AM   #7  
I am wondering how I could incorporate the "push to start" (I believe that's what it is called) that MTD uses on their mowers. You pull the rope and the touch a button and the mower starts. Does anyone know if this can be done to a Quantum engine? Is the 122K02-0015-E1 Quantum engine?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-05, 12:38 AM   #8  
I am not familiar with the push to start feature....haven't run across one yet. I imagine the cord winds a spring, then pushing the button releases it and it turns the engine.

God bless!

TN

12-02-10, 12:23 PM   #9  
I am looking for a replacement engine for the snapper riding mower like the one Forrest Gump rode. Where would be a good place to purchase one. I am looking for one for my friend who's 71 years old. He said a 8hp would be ok. Can someone point me to a good place to order one online? Thanks

MO

12-02-10, 06:14 PM   #10  
Posted By: lawnman4 I am looking for a replacement engine for the snapper riding mower like the one Forrest Gump rode. Where would be a good place to purchase one. I am looking for one for my friend who's 71 years old. He said a 8hp would be ok. Can someone point me to a good place to order one online? Thanks
The link below should have what you need. Have a good one. Geo
Small Engine Warehouse - Repower Outdoor Power Equipment

Search this Thread