Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help! Which "Wire" is Missing on Lawn Tractor

Visiting Guest

05-25-05, 11:04 AM   #1  
JJacobs
Help! Which "Wire" is Missing on Lawn Tractor

Hi, here's a tough one for you small engine/lawn tractor experts.

Late last year, I bought an old (probably 20+ years) 13.5 HP Coleman lawn tractor from a local guy that fixes lawn equipment at his home. Worked fine the first couple of times, but then it wouldn't start. He "fixed" it and brought it back to me, but it wouldn't start unless we boosted it with my car battery. He couldn't figure it out. Later that night, he called back to say he forgot that he disconnected and removed "a wire," and now realizes he needs to reinstall that wire so it can start on its own battery power. With only one mow left in the year, I just boosted it with my car and forgot about the problem until this spring.

I recently called him, but apparently he has passed away over the winter! So, now, the question to you guys is . . . what wire do I need to reinstall? Possibly something to do with an alternator, I'm told???

o make it worse, you are talking to a total engine novice! Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-05, 11:37 PM   #2  
Hello JJacobs!

Do you jump the mower at the battery, or do you connect the jumper cable to the starter to get it started? If you're boosting the battery, then it may be a charging wire left disconnected. I have never heard of a coleman lawn mower, but the electrical system should be comparable to any other. Look on the side of the engine for a single red wire, or a red wire and white wire together coming from under the top area of the engine. This should be the charging wire. If it's a briggs single cylinder engine, then it should come out just at the side of the starter. It should be connected to a corresponding plug on the mower harness and go to the battery. It may connect to the battery via the ignition switch connector, and it may run through an ammeter first.

What did the fella do to it when he worked on it last year? This might help point us in the direction of what wire would have been disconnected.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-26-05, 06:53 AM   #3  
JJacobs
Thanks!

Yes, I believe that's it exactly! I jump it at the battery and I think I remember him saying "the wire" is the one that keeps the battery charged when the motor is running. So, I think it is the charging wire, as you stated.

I have a digital camera. I wonder if I take a few pictures of the engine and battery and post them, could you give me more instruction?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

P.S. I believe Coleman is a Canadian make. As I said, it's really old, I'd guess about 20-25 years!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-05, 12:17 AM   #4  
You're welcome to do the pics. You don't see the wire I mentioned? What brand engine is on it?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-05-05, 09:15 PM   #5  
JJacobs
Hi cheese,

No, I don't see the wire, because I think the gentleman removed it completely. I finally took the pictures of the battery, wires and engine. How do I post/send them to you?

Again, thanks very much for your help.

JJ

Visiting Guest

06-06-05, 09:47 PM   #6  
JJacobs
Hi cheese (or anyone else who can help):

Okay, further to my tale of woe I posted pics of my lawn tractor's engine, battery and wires. You can see them on Webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/jjacobs2003

Cany anyone help me figure out what wire I need to re-install (or, if it's there, re-connect)?

Thanks, JJ

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-06-05, 10:13 PM   #7  
Hello JJ!

The last photo....the one with the starter pictured. There ia one or two wires coming from behind the starter. This or these (hard to tell from the pic) is the charge wire. If there are 2, the one with a "lump" in it near the connector is the one that charges the battery. It should be connected to the positive side of the battery preferrably with a fuse inline.

God bless!

Search this Thread