Craftsman lt1000 hard to start

Old 05-25-05, 04:28 PM
Angry Craftsman lt1000 hard to start

Help......I have a Craftsman LT1000, Model#917.272650 that is hard to start. The starter will turn the engine until it hits compression then stops. If I remove the spark plug, it turns over fine. I was wondering if it is the Mechanical Compression Release? If so, could someone please explain how to fix. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello boonie33!

That mower has a single cylinder OHV engine. Chances are, the valves need adjustment. The manual reccomends this yearly. Set the intake at .005" and the exhaust at .003" and your problem should go away. If it continues, then yes, the compression release could be at fault.

Old 05-26-05, 09:24 AM
Thanks....

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Boonie33

Old 05-26-05, 03:06 PM
While you have the rocker cover off to adjust the valves, you can check to see if the MCR is functioning properly by manually rotating the flywheel by hand (with the spark plug removed) and see if the lower valve opens slightly on the compression stroke of the engine. If you see no movement and you know the valves are adjusted correctly then the MCR camshaft is at fault and replacing such is in order. Hopefully it is within 3-years old so that in the least you can have one replaced under warranty. I say three because Briggs will usually do a policy adjustment after the standard 2-year warranty is up and up the the third year from date of purchase.