Broken electric starter - expedient manual start?

Old 05-28-05, 09:50 AM
forgetful
Visiting Guest
Broken electric starter - expedient manual start?

I have a 20 year old Allis-Chalmers 608 Ltd. with an 8 h.p. B & S Model 791707 four cycle engine. I received it as a well-used gift last summer. At the end of summer, I stopped using it when its engine produced plumes of burning oil smoke . This spring, I cleaned up the engine with the intention of tracking down the oil leak or other problem only to discover that the electric starter has failed -- it clicks, doesn't turn enough to start the engine.

Is there a way to manually start the engine for diagnostic purposes? Unfortunately, there is no sheet metal housing atop the engine for a pull-starter such as used on models equipped with pull starters. Thanks, Forgetful

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-05, 04:02 PM
Clean The Battery Ground At The Frame And Terminal And Try With A Fully Charged Battery

Old 05-28-05, 10:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is no sheet metal shroud over the engine, it is overheating. That may be the problem. If the engine overheated enough, it may have galled the cylinder and is now too hard for the starter to turn it. Have you tried turning the flywheel by hand? Don't do this with the ignition on in case it tries to start.

Old 05-29-05, 04:58 AM
forgetful
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't really explain myself very well. There is a sheet metal shroud on top of the engine -- its just one designed exclusively for electric start and does not have a "port" for a rope starter. The only obvious access that I have to the flywheel is the exposed, toothed side edge of the fly wheel where the electric starter (off the machine at the moment) engages. If I could get the thing to start by placing the flywheel in motion I'd be thrilled (and careful) as I don't really want to shell out $100 for a new starter only to confirm that the engine is toast. I don't know, is a push start of some sort an option?

As for the battery and ground, I have charged the newish battery and it seems to hold a charge and perform as it should. I will clean the ground cable connection today and give her a try again. Thanks again, Forgetful

Old 05-29-05, 02:45 PM
forgetful
Visiting Guest
Hats off to Bambiblaster!

Well, I cleaned up the ground and pulled the spark plug and the starter spun with ease. Put in the spark plug and she fired right up. Thanks Bambiblaster. Forgetful

Old 05-29-05, 06:28 PM
Any Time... Have Seen This Alot On Tractors.....

Old 05-30-05, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good call bblaster!