Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

self-propelled mower won't disengage

Visiting Guest

05-28-05, 10:42 AM   #1  
jpotter17
self-propelled mower won't disengage

I seem to have the opposite problem that many others have. I have a self-propelled mower (Cratsman 917.377823) whose self-propelled feature will not disengage after releasing the drive bar. I have taken the cover off and can see that the belt and pulley wheels do not return to the "off" position, but I can not figure out what would normally make them return - there doesn't appear to be any tension to pull them back. Any help on what to try is most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-05, 10:59 PM   #2  
Is the cable stuck, keeping the tensioner pulley pulled tight?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-29-05, 07:57 AM   #3  
jpotter17
Nope - when the handle is released, the cable (and corresponding spring) return to the normal position, but the idler and idle pulley wheels do not return to the disengaged position.

TX

05-29-05, 08:21 PM   #4  
If possible, disconnect the cable from the idler pulley arm and see if it moves freely from engaged to disengaged positions. If so the cable is stuck as another poster suggested.
Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-05, 10:05 PM   #5  
Sounds like the arm is just stuck, maybe needs lubrication. Try loosening the bolt that holds it and work it enough to free it up and spray it with penetrating oil and tighten the bolt back up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread