self-propelled mower won't disengage

Old 05-28-05, 10:42 AM
jpotter17
Visiting Guest
self-propelled mower won't disengage

I seem to have the opposite problem that many others have. I have a self-propelled mower (Cratsman 917.377823) whose self-propelled feature will not disengage after releasing the drive bar. I have taken the cover off and can see that the belt and pulley wheels do not return to the "off" position, but I can not figure out what would normally make them return - there doesn't appear to be any tension to pull them back. Any help on what to try is most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-05, 10:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the cable stuck, keeping the tensioner pulley pulled tight?

Old 05-29-05, 07:57 AM
jpotter17
Visiting Guest
Nope - when the handle is released, the cable (and corresponding spring) return to the normal position, but the idler and idle pulley wheels do not return to the disengaged position.

Old 05-29-05, 08:21 PM
If possible, disconnect the cable from the idler pulley arm and see if it moves freely from engaged to disengaged positions. If so the cable is stuck as another poster suggested.
Mike

Old 05-30-05, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the arm is just stuck, maybe needs lubrication. Try loosening the bolt that holds it and work it enough to free it up and spray it with penetrating oil and tighten the bolt back up.