Briggs 16hp Vanguard stalling???

Old 05-29-05, 12:11 PM
Briggs 16hp Vanguard stalling???

Hi folks, I've got a Cub Cadet with a 16hp Vanguard Briggs with 320 hours on it.

The other day I had been mowing just fine for about 10 minutes when it started to cough and then start to stall. I was able to limp back to the garage (250ft.).Now it will only run when choked.

I drained the fuel tank, blew out the line with a compressor, replaced the fuel filter and plugs, and cleaned the air cleaner. I don't think it's water in fuel.

The left plug is a bit wet and the right one is dry. When I pull the plug wire on the wet side it runs even worse so I assume it's getting spark. The engine is a model 303400 with the Nikki carb on it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 06:59 PM
stalling

do it have a fuel pump?

Old 05-29-05, 08:17 PM
Yes, it's got a vacuum pulse diaphram pump.

Is it possible that it's over pumping causing it to run too rich?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-05, 10:45 AM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the fan housing?

I'm trying to take the carb off and realized that the intake manifold has to come off first. I just can't get to it.

I've removed all of the screws and bolts I can see on the housing and it won't budge. Are there screws on the drive shaft side under the accordion tube between the firewall and engine?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-05, 09:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not too familiar with that mower, so I don't know about an "accordian tube", but the shroud should come off with the removal of the bolts visible around the edges of the shroud, and possibly the flywheel screen if it goes over the housing. It sounds like water or trash is in the carb bowl.