rototiller

Old 05-30-05, 11:13 AM
wwc
Question rototiller

I have a very old tiller, made by montgomery wards , i can't find any model numbers but it looks like a standard lawn mower type engine around 3hp or less.
My problem is it won't start, it seems to be getting gas because after awhile gas starts spurting out the carb some.
I also primed the carb and even sprayed some starter fluid in the spark plug port and tried some gas sprayed inside also and it only sprayed it out the muffler and never hit once.
I don't think it is get any spark.
I put in a new spark plug and gapped it correctly.
When i disconnect the spark plug wire and hold it near the engine block and have someone pull the starter rope i don't see or hear any spark.
I took out the spark plug and connected the wire to it and held it near a bolt on the block and nothing, i layed the plug connected against the block with the tip facing out and still saw no spark, not even a thin white spark.
But if i hold the wire with my bare hands and pull it slow or quick pull i get quite a jolt, but i don't know if it's not enough to make a spark, but it's enough to make ya let go real fast !
I have shined up the flywheel sides good with emory cloth and the contact area of the horseshoe area of the armature and still nothing.
What can i do now?
Is there a set of points under the flywheel?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look on the engine shroud near the head, or on the side above the cylinder. There should be a set of numbers. Post these and we can give you more detailed info. It does sound like you have points ignition, and you probably need to replace them and adjust them. If a briggs engine, the points will be integrated with a new condenser. If not a briggs, get a new condenser and install it when you replace the points.

Old 05-31-05, 09:56 AM
wwc
Well i found a very small sticker on the housing that told about what oil to use etc, and it is a briggs .
Stamped on the housing is the only numbers i could find on it are as follows,
92902 1306 03 75030628 .

Hope that helps.

Old 06-01-05, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a 1975 model engine, and would have come with points. My suggestion would be to forget the points and just install a new coil with solid state ignition. It's much more accurate and reliable.

Old 06-01-05, 07:27 AM
wwc
Thanks cheese, any idea what part numbers i need and maybe a link or something on how to do the change from points.

Old 06-02-05, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have the part# handy, but any small engine shop should have it based on your model# (the first of the 3 sets of #s you listed). There's nothing much to the changeover...just remove the old coil, clip the wire that goes under the flywheel, conect the kill wire to the terminal on the new coil, and install. Make sure there is a .010" gap between the flywheel and coil.

Old 06-02-05, 11:49 AM
wwc
thank you, it's been a good tiller. i apprciate your help

Old 06-03-05, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime!

Old 06-03-05, 03:25 AM
Briggs part number 496914 is the solid state coil.

Old 08-09-05, 10:02 PM
wwc
Thumbs up update

Sorry to take so long to reply back with the finished work i forgot.
I took apart another lawn mower i had that was working and found that it had a soild state ignition, so i swapped it into the tiller and put it all back together and it runs great now and starts better than ever.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 08-10-05, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Thanks for the update!