J Deere LT155 Flywheel Removal

Old 05-30-05, 12:28 PM
Aljjr2
Visiting Guest
J Deere LT155 Flywheel Removal

I am trying to replace the stator on a John Deere Tractor. It is under the flywheel. I have a puller (heavy Duty) I am having trouble finding the right screews for the holes (i believed) used to pull the flywheel off the shaft. Are there any tips or special scews needed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine brand and model is on it? If it's a kohler or briggs vanguard, the bolts are probably metric. 8mm probably. If it's a regular briggs, they should be 5/16 bolts.

Old 05-31-05, 07:16 AM
Aljjr2
Visiting Guest
It appears to be 5/16. Still can't get the flywheel to budge. Should I try "heating" it some? Do they seal it somehow at the factory?

Old 06-01-05, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't heat it. A good puller will pull it off. If not, tap the flywheel with a hammer while the puller has a lot of pressure on it, but don't beat on it enough to create a crack. ( a cracked flywheel on an engine turning 3500 rpm is a grenade waiting to go off).

Old 06-03-05, 12:34 PM
Aljjr2
Visiting Guest
It worked..

Thanks "cheese" Tapping it with the pressure on worked perfectly. Poof it came loose. As I thought I smoked the stator. Just need to order the right one.. hope I don't have to pay the $120 upgrade to the 15 amp. There is no part number on the stator. Thanks. again!!

Old 06-03-05, 02:32 PM
Check the magnets inside the flywheel if you used heat on it...they may well have come unglued!!!

Old 06-03-05, 07:15 PM
Aljjr2
Visiting Guest
Thanks.. did not use heat. "Cheese" warned me not to do so.