Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens RM830E (8hp B&S engine) - stalls after about 20min

Visiting Guest

05-30-05, 02:09 PM   #1  
woolfie
Ariens RM830E (8hp B&S engine) - stalls after about 20min

I have inherited a free Ariens RM830E from a kind friend, but it stalls after about 20 mins of use -- i.e. once it's got good and hot

I've disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled the carb (and it still worked!) and cleaned, re-set the spark plug.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also (maybe related), how can I check the charging circuit/voltage when the engine is running. The mower currently has a dead battery, and I start it by boosting it from my car (so when it stalls, I have to push it from the back yard to the front of the house ). I'd like to make sure the charging circuit works fine before buying a new battery.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-30-05, 08:59 PM   #2  
Have you checked the gas cap? If it's not venting properly the gas will stop flowing from the tank. Must create a vacuum.

Dick

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-05, 09:05 PM   #3  
Have you checked to see if you have spark at the plug when it stalls?

To check the charging system, you'll need a voltmeter. With the engine running at full throttle, you should get a reading of at least 13.5 volts at the battery....BUT...if the battery is shorted internally you may not get a reading this high but still have a good charging system. Chances are it's ok, and if the battery is more than 2 yrs old, it's probably bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-31-05, 07:29 AM   #4  
woolfie
> Have you checked the gas cap? If it's not venting properly
> the gas will stop flowing from the tank. Must create a
> vacuum.

The cap looks OK and appears to be allowing an air flow. This past weekend following its usual stall, I did notice that there was gas splashed out from the gas cap. This could have happened during the long push back from the back yard, but the tank was half-full (half-empty?!), so I wouldn't have expected much slushing to occur.

Is it possible there would be back-pressure in the gas line?

> Have you checked to see if you have spark at the plug when it stalls?

Not yet, I can do that next time.

> To check the charging system, you'll need a voltmeter. With the
> engine running at full throttle, you should get a reading of at
> least 13.5 volts at the battery....BUT...if the battery is shorted
> internally you may not get a reading this high but still have a
> good charging system.

Good to know. I'll check the volts next time as well. If it shows a good reading, I'll go buy a battery so that I don't have to keep boosting it from the car!

Thanks.

Search this Thread