Craftsman Lawn Tractor with Kohler Pro 17 HP Motor

Old 05-30-05, 05:41 PM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor with Kohler Pro 17 HP Motor

I recently changed the fuel filter on this tractor. Now I have a problem whereby the fuel fills the air intake on the carb eventually leaking out around the carb until all the gas is gone from the tank. I don't know how to rebuild a carb if that is what is needed. But would like to avoid taking it into a shop or having someone come to my house to rapair the problem.

Also, it stalls out after the gas has run out of the fuel filter, almost like there is no suction to draw more gas out of the tank and into the filter.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Larry!

Under the carb, you will see a cylindrical shaped piece with a wire connected to it. Unscrew this to remove the bowl. Clean the bowl and replace the needle and your problems will probably disappear. If not, let us know. You probably have gas in the oil now, so don't run the engine until you've changed the oil after fixing the carb.

Old 06-06-05, 06:14 PM
Update. . .

I finally replaced the needle on Sunday. Checked the tractor this morning. Found gas around the bowl. Talked with a friend at work that used to be a mechanic. He told me to pull the carb off, and spray carb cleaner through all holes and check the seat for the needle. Completed all of this tonight.

Now the tractor starts and runs, but blows blue smoke and the cover on the front that says "OHV" fills with gas. I drained the tank before I did the work on the carb. Only put very little back in the tank, but the tank level hasn't really gone down that much.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-05, 10:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb is still flooding, filling the engine with gas. The needle and seat are still not sealing for some reason. Don't run the engine with gas in the oil...it can wipe it out in short order. Try taking the float off and shake it near your ear. If you hear a sloshing sound inside it, replace it. Also, make sure the float hinge pin is not rusty and the float can travel up and down without resistance.

Old 06-07-05, 02:40 PM
The float is virtually a semi-clear plastic. I didn't see anything inside when I was checking the carb Sunday. The float pin is still very shiney. Float moves freely on the pin.

In the carb kit were two rubber gaskets. One looked to be the right size for where the needle goes in, but did not want to go in there. It appeared that there was not one in there before. Needle has a rubber tip on it. Still looks to be in good shape. Will attempt to locate the rebuild kit and see if I can get that gasket in there.

Thanks.

Larry