Craftman rider mower not starting

Old 05-31-05, 06:06 AM
Steve A
Visiting Guest
Craftman rider mower not starting

I have a Craftsman 14 HP, Kohler engine riding lawn mower. It had been running fine this season.

When I tried to start it this weekend - turned the key and nothing happened. Tried to jump start the battery and nothing, checked all the cable connecetions and they seem fine.

Not sure what to do, I don't have the manual as it was bought used. Should I get a new battery? What else can I do to troubleshoot the problem - I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve A

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 08:08 AM
no start

could be a number of things wrong. The sequence of trouble shooting is important to find the culprit. Jump the starter direct from another battery to establish or eliminate a starter problem. There is a main fuse in the harness somewhere near the rear of the engine--could be blown.

check those first--then get back

S/T

Old 06-01-05, 04:08 AM
Steve A
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice - turns out it was just the battery - put a new one in last night and it started right up.

Old 07-06-05, 04:17 PM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
I'm into your situation now . . .

I also have a Craftsman rider that did the same as your description; had an auto mechanic friend come and see what and why . . . . his theory is that the ignition switch (located behind key starter where wires are harnessed; take key ring off to loosen switch on motor side) needs to be replaced. Cost is about $11.00 for part from Sears on line and it appears to be an easy do-it-yourself (except for desperate know-nothing female w/too much property = me!). Mary Jane