Yardman/Kohler won't stay running?HELP

Old 07-29-05, 08:49 AM
Soccess

Since I have not read any success stories, I have one final post. Since making the changes I reported last week, the mower has run flawlessly. Thank you each one for your comments, and best of luck to those that are still searching for a solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 01:04 PM
Limited success, still one more thing to try

Well my mower works great if I leave the hood off. I've been concerned with some hot air blowing out near the carb, so I checked the muffler gasket, but didn't see anything terribly interesting. Last time it was warming up though, I did see some liquid dripping off the screw that bolts the muffler on, so maybe there is something to this bad gasket idea. I'm going to go and get a replacement muffler gasket to see if the hot air blowing out ceases.

Do you think I should be concerned about changing the muffler? To my knowledge it is working alright, unless it is causing this problem somehow!

Thanks,

-Jeremy

Old 08-29-05, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd just change the gasket if you think it's bad.

Old 04-14-06, 08:52 AM
Thanks to all for this post. You have given me a lot of things to look at concerning a very similar problem I'm having with an old JD R72 I just bought. It starts and runs good, cuts great, but as I'm mowing, I notice that the fuel in the clear filter diminishes until it doesn't appear to be flowing at all. It will also die if the mower tilts to the side even slightly. Straight up or down a hill is fine. I'll check the tank and lines for obstructions and probably replace the lines, since they appear to be fairly aged. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll move on to the carb. Again, thanks for this wealth of info.

Doh! The seat has a kill switch in it. Since I was leaning to the uphill side of the mower, I was rolling off of the switch and killing the engine. Still am trying to find out why the fuel filter is emptying out, though.

Last edited by BOCTOK; 04-16-06 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 09:05 AM
Smile Finally back to running!

Just wanted to put a final note on the subject: This Spring I finally got my machine running w/o dying. I know it's been said before, but my fuel filter was starving my engine. I didn't think that could be the cause, since I had *just* replaced it, but now I see that I replaced it with the wrong model filter. I didn't think that it would be a big deal, but evidently I was wrong. I may have put on a filter that expected that a fuel pump (instead of gravity) would feed the engine. I feel very stupid now. Overall it was an unfortunate series of events:

1) Dust clogged my fuel cap vent (1st engine die) - panic!
2) Performed full tuneup to try to fix the problem (with wrong fuel filter) - still dying, still panicking!
3) Limped along with "thumb pumping" workaround (despair over broken machine)
4) First starup this year with new gas cap (hopeful fix? Nope, still dying)
5) New tuneup this year, with more appropriate fuel filter - FIXED!!!

Thanks for all of your help, and "use the correct parts!"

-Jeremy

Old 05-11-06, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, and glad you got it fixed!

Old 05-11-06, 04:54 AM
Gas Filter????

I started this posting, based on my stalling Yardman mower. I did a tune up this spring, and changed the filter ( I had an automotive one last year) to a Kohler mower filter this year. I have only mowed once, but it did not stall. Hmmm? I wonder if my problem as well could be the filter. I should know after another mow or 2. I'll update.
Thanks
Bill

Old 05-17-06, 07:33 AM
Problem solved-Maybe?

Well, I cut my lawn last night. Got through it no stalling. It may have all been do to the automotive type gas filter.
Thanks for the help.......
Bill

Old 09-28-07, 11:39 AM
17 hp Kohler

Jer213, I have the exact engine with the exact problem. My mower will run for 10 - 20 minutes and then want to stall. I have vented the cap and that helped for a while but the problem is getting worse. I noticed by tank was caved in which led me to the cap. My fuel filter is new this year. What type of filter did you buy?
Thanks kzobwf

Originally Posted by Jer213 View Post
Just wanted to put a final note on the subject: This Spring I finally got my machine running w/o dying. I know it's been said before, but my fuel filter was starving my engine. I didn't think that could be the cause, since I had *just* replaced it, but now I see that I replaced it with the wrong model filter. I didn't think that it would be a big deal, but evidently I was wrong. I may have put on a filter that expected that a fuel pump (instead of gravity) would feed the engine. I feel very stupid now. Overall it was an unfortunate series of events:

1) Dust clogged my fuel cap vent (1st engine die) - panic!
2) Performed full tuneup to try to fix the problem (with wrong fuel filter) - still dying, still panicking!
3) Limped along with "thumb pumping" workaround (despair over broken machine)
4) First starup this year with new gas cap (hopeful fix? Nope, still dying)
5) New tuneup this year, with more appropriate fuel filter - FIXED!!!

Thanks for all of your help, and "use the correct parts!"

-Jeremy

Old 10-20-07, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone,

Lots of great posts, i have a similiar problem mine does the same thing as the rest after mowing for 20 mins it dies. I have a 23hp kohler craftsman. but my problem is once it dies it doesnt have any power there is no clicking or anything. When you turn the key its dead no power, but if u go and jump the starter it turns over and starts. But then it dies again right away.

thinking maybe a switch in the seat but i jumpered that and still did the same thing.

Old 10-21-07, 01:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Blown fuse? I don't think your problem is related to the rest of this 2 page thread, so I'd start a new one to keep your problem from getting mixed up with these other guy's problems here.

Old 01-17-08, 07:32 AM
Check your manual

Originally Posted by kzobwf View Post
Jer213, I have the exact engine with the exact problem. My mower will run for 10 - 20 minutes and then want to stall. I have vented the cap and that helped for a while but the problem is getting worse. I noticed by tank was caved in which led me to the cap. My fuel filter is new this year. What type of filter did you buy?
Thanks kzobwf

Hey kzobw, sorry for the late response (I guess I figured this thread was dead and stopped checking!).

The first replacement that worked was an Arnold inline filter from Menard's that just claimed compatability with Kohler engines. That worked fine for the season. Next tune-up I did I went and got the exact filter recommended in my manual/reference sheet stuck to the hood of my mower (from Sears). Of course, it works too...

-Jeremy

Old 04-26-08, 03:02 PM
Smile have same problem, this post helpful

Hi. Just wanted to thank all those who contributed to this post. I have a Murray riding mower with the same engine, same problem. Great engine, except for that. I ran into this problem while mowing 2nd time this year and tried pulling off the fuel line from carb side of engine. I let some gas drain out, it didn't start right away, thus I suspect a vapor lock was contributing to the stall. After I saw some gas come out, I put the filter back on (I'll replace it later) and it ran for quite a long time - longer than usual for this condition. Problem solved.
thanks again,
Jorel

Old 04-29-08, 07:40 AM
Glad it was helpful!

It's nice when you can solve your problem yourself!

-Jeremy

Old 07-23-09, 12:52 PM
Mower shutting off as if out of fuel

I had the same problem with my Yardman. It is powered by a 19HP Kohler Twin Cam engine. I'd mow about a min and it would stall as if it had run our of gas. I'd wait a few mins and it would start again. Finally after 2 days it would not start again except with the use of starting fluid being sprayed in the carburetor. It would stall after about 2 secs as if it were not getting gas. Took it to a local repair shop and the serviceman asked me to switch on the ignition key (for you southerners, it means to turn on the switch key). While having someone else do this, do not try to start engine, just click the key on and off several times. While your partner or assistant is doing this, place your fingertips on the bottom of the carburetor. Here you will find a solenoid, or fuel switch. You may have to remove the air filter in order to access the carburetor. As the key is turned on and off, if the solenoid or fuel switch is good, it will click; not so audibly but you can feel the vibration in your fingertips. Mine was faulty and was not clicking. Replaced and runs like a charm. Hope this helps someone.

Old 08-05-09, 10:47 AM
Same engine

I have a Kohler 15 hp on my Bobcat mower and it will only run for 10 sec it starts first pull then dies. The key switch has 3 wires to it but i do not have the key in it. So is it possible that because I am not using a key that the kill switch is cutting the engine off after 10 sec or if that was the case would it start at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am losing buissness as i type.

Old 08-05-09, 10:56 AM
I have the same engine and was wondering if the kill switch could be the problem I am currently starting it with the key switch taken apart so all 3 wires are not conneted to anything would this cause the engine to die out after 10 sec