Murray Lawn Tractor Exhaust

Old 06-01-05, 10:08 AM
nibsey
Visiting Guest
Murray Lawn Tractor Exhaust

Hi,

I got a good deal on a used Murray Lawn Tractor (12.5 HP commercial grade Tecumpseh motor). My question is pretty simple actually. I got the mower delivered and had it sitting on my lawn running while I showed my wife how everything worked - it really runs great. I'm now noticing that my lawn is pretty burnt beneath where the lawn tractor was sitting. In looking things over, I confirmed that there is no gas leaking (my first thought), but instead that it seems to direct the engine exhaust downward between the front two wheels so it doesn't burn the fiberglass hood next to its muffler. I'm thinking that I will just be careful not to leave it running stationary on the lawn again, but am not sure if this is truly the problem. Is the exhaust really hot enough to burn the lawn? It looks like it's either an animal urine burn or a gas burn, but neither seem to be logical explanations given that I've placed the mower on a piece of cardboard and no gas seems to have leaked (even when running).

It's new to me. My father's mowers were always the kind with the motor exposed on the back, so I'm not sure if this is something unique to lawn tractors.

Any advice would be great because I'm really scratching my head on this one...

Nibs

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-05, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Nibs,

You are probably correct about the exhaust. I've seen many of them that will burn the lawn at the exhaust area when left running in the same spot. Nothing much to worry about if you make a note to be careful about it.