Kohler motor problems

Old 05-31-05, 05:40 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
Kohler motor problems

I have a 16 horse Kohler in my craftsman riding lawnmower. It will run for about 10 minutes then stop. No spark to the plug. When it cools down it will run agian until it gets hot then stops. I have put on a new ignition mod and solenoid to no avail. It is a pressurized motor, is it possible there is a shut down for low oil pressure??. I am out of ideas. Thanks Glenn

Old 05-31-05, 11:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Glenn!

Your description is the classic symptom of a bad coil.

Old 06-01-05, 02:44 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
Do you mean the ignition module that sends the spark to the spark plug???. I have replaced that.

Old 06-02-05, 01:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If what you replaced has a coil wire attatched to it, then you replaced the coil (which kohler calls an ignition module)...but they also have a SAM (spark advance module) on many of these engines....so both being ignition related modules, I'm not sure which you replaced.

Old 06-02-05, 12:29 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
I replaced the ignition module. It bolts right next to the crank and the mgnets on the crank run right by it to create the spark. The other part is call the speed advance module. Could this be the problem..???. Why would it stop the spark when the motor gets warm.??? Thanks for all you help Glenn

Old 06-03-05, 12:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The SAM is probably not faulty. It could be, but I would look at external components first. There is probably a relay on the mower that controls the kill circuit. I'd pop the cover off it and look at the condition of the points in it. Even try switching it with another relay when the problem occurrs. I think it will probably be the only relay with a white wire going to it. Should be under the dash area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: