Weed eater won't stay running

Old 06-03-05, 05:23 AM
Weed eater won't stay running

Hello,

I have a 297 Eager Beaver gas trimmer that was given to me. The problem is it will not stay running. When I fiirst got the trimmer the primer bulb was broken so I replaced it and still, the only way it will stay running is if I manually feed the carburator with fuel it will then start up and and run until it empties. There doesn't appear to be a fuel filter anywhere. There are adjustments for the carburator but I haven't messed with them. Two other things to add: 1. I noticed that there is air bubbles in the line when the primer is pressed. I'm not sure if this is normal. 2. I am using last years fuel because I had it and was just trying to get it going. I figured this is not the problem since it runs fine while its fuel fed. I appreciate any help.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-05, 12:17 PM
Otoe
Visiting Guest
Here's a quick thought until others show up with real expertise:

Sounds like a fuel problem. There likely is a fuel filter in the fuel tank
attached to the end of the fuel line. Check the simple first. Loosen
the fuel tank cap to allow air in and try starting. Pressure could build
up that prevents fuel flow. I'd try fresh gas too. Next, I'd check the fuel lines. An old weedwhacker fuel lines can harden over time and block thinks up.
The next check would be the carb. You may want to go ahead and
install a rebuild kit.

As the engine starts when force feeding fuel, the problem has to be
fuel related on the supply side. Check the filter to make sure it is
clean to allow fuel through.

Otoe

Old 06-03-05, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Otoe. At some point this weekend I am going to mess around with it again, probably Sunday. I will try it with the cap off and with some fresh fuel also to see what happens. I have replace one of the lines but the other 2 are not new. One other thing I thought of, when I was trying to start it the other day I noticed the line going from the fuel tank to the carburator was seeping out where the line goes into the tank, almost like there should have been an o-ring or something there to stop it from leaking. I did pull that line right out from the tank and then just stuck it back in through the hole in the tank making sure it went in far enough to almost reach the bottom. If there is a filter in the tank maybe I messed it up. Hmmmm.......it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've done that. I appreciate the help once again.

Jason

Old 06-04-05, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jason!

You probably need to start by replacing the fuel lines and the in-tank filter. One small crack/pinhole in a line is enough to keep it from drawing fuel into the carb.

Old 06-04-05, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the help cheese. I will try the new lines and filter as well and will report back. I don't ask for help often but sometimes something just comes up that has you baffled and it's great to know you have people out there willing to help when you have a problem. Again, thank you for the respnses and I'll let you know what happens. Have a good day!

Jason

Old 06-07-05, 07:13 AM
I have given up! I have tried the new gas and the lines don't seem to be leaking air. I also tried with the cap off but for whatever reason, it refuses to stay running. Before I sink any money into it again, I think I will buy a new one. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Jason