Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murry with B/S, Starter stuck engaged

Visiting Guest

06-05-05, 06:41 PM   #1  
Nichodemus
Murry with B/S, Starter stuck engaged

I have a Murray 42" cut, 17 hp riding mower. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton model 402A707 V-Twin, I/C.

A while back, I had to replace the alternator (ring) under the flywheel. In diagnosing that problem, I also replaced the starter solenoid and the key switch. Well, I eventually had the mower running again.

After probably a total of 5 hours of cutting, and several start-ups with no problems, I had turned the mower off, and went to recrank it, not 10 minutes later. It just clicked. I jump started it, and it worked ok. Later, I turned it off, and tried cranking again. Still, just a click. I figured the battery was weak (possibly not charging.) I charged the battery up (its at 13.5 volts), and tried cranking it again, a few days later. This time I got a crank and some vibrating noises from the starter. I tried jump starting it, got the same result.

I pulled the engine shroud, and found that the starter gear was stuck up, engaging the flywheel. It doesn't seem to be able to turn the flywheel like this. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be like that.

Any advice on the problem? If I need a new starter, how much do they typically run? Could it have anything to do with the recent solenoid replacement or alternator replacement. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

06-05-05, 07:34 PM   #2  
I just had that problem on a twin but it was not a V-twin so please get an additional response or two to confirm if I'm right or wrong. The starter should NOT be engaged except while starting. I had to pull the flywheel to get this one to disengage; the pinion gear had deformed and stuck to the flywheel. If there is no damage to your gear it should come loose and fall (Rotate) back (Down) to the top of the starter. Then check to be sure the gear is free to rotate up and down it's shaft and that the spring is OK. If the starter has not been damaged you should be back in business. My starter unfortunately had a problem so I was not that lucky. I'm going to start a new thread to get my question out there so you may want to read it and follow some of the answers I get. Wish I could help more?

06-05-05, 07:55 PM   #3  
I forgot to add that a new starter is $109.95 retail.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-06-05, 11:23 PM   #4  
The gear on top of the starter can be replaced for about $5.00, or if the entire starter drive assembly is bad, it can be replaced for around $25.00. If the gear is chewed up, and it won't go back down on the helix, then replace the whole drive assembly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-07-05, 06:48 AM   #5  
Nichodemus
I will certainly take a look at it. From what I saw the other day, the gear looks to be in good shape, and the helix looks ok too, just won't go back down where it should be. Guess I'll have to pull the flywheel to get it figured out.

Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-08-05, 01:50 AM   #6  
No need to pull the flywheel, just pull the starter. You might be able to work the gear back down by turning the engine by hand.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-20-05, 07:52 AM   #7  
Nichodemus
Well, it turns out the starter is ok. Jumping from the battery, it works ok. The solenoid had a broken post, so its not grounding properly. I am going to switch that, and it will probably be fine.

Search this Thread