Blackened spark plug

Old 06-06-05, 08:21 PM
Mikemo500
Visiting Guest
Blackened spark plug

Hello. I have a self propelled Troy-built 210 (6.5HP) lawn mower. 2 years old. 3 weeks ago I changed the oil and the spark plug. It ran great for 2 mows, and today it died on me. I took out the spark plug and it was completely blackened. So I cleaned it with a wire brush and it ran again for about five minutes, and then quit suddenly. I think I killed the spark plug (if that's possible). I will get a new plug tomorrow, but I guess my question is why is it running so hot and black? The oil is clean, new, and at correct level. Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Mike!

I'm guessing that during the time you changed the oil and plug, you had the mower tilted on it's side? If so, the air filter is probably soaked with oil causing the engine to run too rich. A clogged or oil soaked filter basically chokes the engine and this rich running will soot up a plug quickly.

Old 06-07-05, 06:08 AM
Mikemo500
Visiting Guest
Interesting---I'll have to search for the air filter tonight. I used to have a snapper that had an air filter right on the side, easy to change out or clean. But this mower doesn't seem to have one quite as handy----is it possible that I would have to take off the engine housing to get to it?

Old 06-07-05, 08:40 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you can retrieve the model # of the mower, use it at this link http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp
to find an owners manual which will have the information needed for common operator maintenance items such as air filter and spark plug oil change.........

Search this Thread