Craftsman riding mower blows fuses

Old 06-10-05, 06:31 AM
bluesbass
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Craftsman riding mower blows fuses

Hello, a few weeks ago my 1998 Sears Craftsman riding mower wouldn't turn over; the problem was the solenoid. I changed it, and it worked fine for approximately 20 starts.

A few days ago, the same thing - it wouldn't turn over. I figured I must have gotten a bad solenoid so I got another new one. I changed it, and it still wouldn't turn over. I tested the 30A fuse and found it to be blown. I replaced it and it started. But when I shut it off and need to start it again I find that the fuse has blown. At least I can mow my lawn, but at this rate I'll need a case of 30A fuses soon!

Anybody, got any thoughts? BTW, Sears had discontinued my original solenoid so they gave me a replacement kit solenoid. I don't think that's the problem, but I figured it may be worth noting. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 01:38 PM
I'm gonna risk assuming that this problem and the previous one are not related (and I could be wrong). I think you have a bare wire somewhere causing a short circuit that is blowing your fuses. I would check ALL the connections in the starting circuit, including safety switches to make sure nothing is accidently touching ground causing this problem.

Old 06-12-05, 02:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also, depending on what engine you have, you may have a relay behind the engine near the dash area. These relays get moisture in them and cause funny problmes like this from time to time.

Old 06-15-05, 06:52 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
I am having the same problem. My craftsman runs for 10 minutes then no spark to the plug. Called Kohler and the tech told me craftsman is having problems with the relays, replaced one of the 3 three relays (they are all the same relay) and now it blows the 15 amp fuse, when it does turn over for a few seconds it still will not start. I have replaced the selonoid and coil/ignition module. I have check the main ground wires and sanded the frame for good contact, that didn't do any good. I am out of ideas.

Old 06-15-05, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you wash your mower or let it get rained on? If so, replacing just one relay might not solve the problem. Did you just pick a relay and replace it, or did you determine which relay is the one that went bad and replace that one specifically?

Old 06-16-05, 12:25 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
Hey cheese, my mower dosen't get wet. I just bought one new relay because it was $25 and i thought only one would be bad. Just relaced the one that I took along with me to the parts store. Thanks

Old 06-16-05, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you determine if the one you replaced was the one that is bad?

Old 06-17-05, 10:41 AM
you also want to make sure you are replacing the fuses with the correct ones, they may be the same amps and volts, but not a delay fuse.

Old 06-17-05, 03:07 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
Cheese, I didn't have anyway to check the relay. If i replaced a good relay with another good relay how could it make any difference???. The fuses were all 15 amp.

Old 06-17-05, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It wouldn't make any difference, which is what I'm getting at. You still ahve 2 more relays, and one of them is probably the reason you're blowing fuses. Do you have an ohmmeter? You can check them by checking continuity with voltage applied and not applied to the trigger terminal, or you can visually inspect them from the inside by popping the internals out of the black plastic housing.

Old 06-18-05, 07:04 PM
sphinky
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese, I will have my new ohm meter on tuesday and check out the relays. You have been a great help thanks for yout time.

Old 06-19-05, 05:32 AM
Craftsman Changed The Fuses To A 20 Amp..... Also The Plactic Ignition Switch Was Causing A Short When Key Was Turned Off And Blowing Fuses.... The Relays Were Getting Moisture In The And Rusting Inside.... Your Owners Manual Has Wire Digram For Testing... You Can Open Them And Look Inside... Nothing Will Fall Out... When You Replace Them They Recomend Wire Tieing Them Upward On The Ignition Switch Area Of The Harness.... Hope Some Of This Helps

Old 06-20-05, 05:42 PM
bluesbass
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Okay, we figured out the problem with my 30 amp fuse blowing and it definitely was not related to my earlier solenoid problem. It was blowing fuses because the amp meter that is mounted on the dash had vibrated loose, falling down behind the gas tank and the wires had somehow shorted on the frame. Thanks for all the tips, hope I don't have a relay problem next. But if I do, I know where to go - right back here to DoItYourself.com. Thanks all!!

Old 06-21-05, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed. Had we known your guage had fallen out of the dash, we would have gotten you on the right track real quick .