Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman tractor fuel overflowing!

06-10-05, 05:35 PM   #1  
Craftsman tractor fuel overflowing!

Hello:

I have a 16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton 5-yrd old Craftsman. A few days back, after emptying the gas tank, I filled it half with gas to get ready for the next mow. Then a a day later i noticed gas leaking at the bottom of the tractor and realized the gas used to fill 1/2 of the tank from the previus day had vanished! The gas somehow leaked into the cylinder head and the oil pan was full of it as well.....

I spoke to a co-worked and he mentioned that Craftsman tractors have a
bad problem with the carbuerators that allows gas to leak. He told me that on his Craftsman, he installed a shut-off valve betwee the fuel pump and the gas tank and turns it OFF when the tractor is not in use. He told me to drain the oil pan, remove the sparkplug and turn the ignotion which would squirt out additional gas.

With gas out of control, I'm concerned with fire hazard....but he said it was ok to use....and that he would provide a shut off valve.

Has anyone encountered this problem? What the solutions, and most of all, is it safe to use the tractor or have the carbereutor replaced?

I don't want to buy a new tractor if I don't have to....
Tom

Sponsored Links

PA

06-10-05, 05:59 PM   #2  
UNDER THE CARB IS A FUEL SHUT OFF SOLENOID... IF YOU DIDNT HAVE THE KEY TURNED TO THE RUN POSITION THEN YOU GOT SOME DIRT IN BOWL AND IT PREVENTED THE SOLENOID FROM FULLY CLOSING.... CLEAN THE CARB TO BE SURE.... BUT NOT A PROBLEM... I WOULD DRAIN OIL AND REFILL RUN ABOUT 1 CUTTING AND CHANGE AGAIN AND SHOULD BE FINE...........

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-05, 02:42 AM   #3  
The fuel inlet needle is not sealing off the flow of fuel. Any small engine shop should have a replacement. It's not a problem on craftsmans moreso than any other brand that uses that engine. It's not even a problem on that engine in particular. It is not ok, or safe to use like this, even with a shutoff valve. Using the shutoff valve is just hiding a symptom but not curing the problem. If you turn the ignition with the plug out, you could be in for a huge fireball if the plug wire sparks (which it is supposed to do when you turn the ignition). Be careful to keep the plug wire out of the way, and leave the plug out of the wire.

Definitely fix the problem and change the oil before running the engine to avoid fire danger and engine damage.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread