garden tractor runs then floods

Old 06-12-05, 07:48 AM
map686
Visiting Guest
garden tractor runs then floods

I have a ariens garden tractor with a B&S 12.5 hp engine. I can go out and mow about half my yard (20 min. or so) then the engine gets flooded with gas. I have had the carb rebuilt, all adjustments seem fine, it runs very smooth for that first 20 min. then the engine floods. If I do not turn the gas valve off there will be a quart or more of gas in the oil. What the heck am I missing? I did compression tests, cold and hot, the pressure is 50psi or so in both cases. Please help!
Thanks, MP

Old 06-12-05, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
When the engine cools, does the carb still flood gas into the engine? Have you looked in the carb bowl for trash that could be getting in the way of the needle seat? Did you replace the needle seat? Does the exhaust blow onto the carb? (blown out muffler, etc...).

Old 06-13-05, 02:32 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
tractor woes

The exhaust seems fine, the carb have been cleaned and rebuilt, gas does not seem to fill the block when cold.
I took the head off yesterday, seemed to have carbon build up on valves. Cleaned some off, added cleaner to gas, ran for a while then the same problem.
I will take another look at exhaust. Thanks for the reply. MP

Old 06-13-05, 11:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Even if the carb was rebuilt, it doesn't guarantee that it doesn't have a problem. The reason the engine is flooding is because the carb needle is letting fuel by it. This shouldn't happen when the engine is off.

Old 06-14-05, 03:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Does this engine have a fuel pump? If so, is it electric and could you possibly have power going to the pump at all times? The pressure of the pump could possibly cause the inlet needle to unseat and allow fuel to flow past such and therefore flood the engine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: