Mower won't Start

Old 06-11-05, 09:33 AM
Sam24
Visiting Guest
Mower won't Start

Ok, guys...go easy on me, as I know little about these things.
Unfortunately, I hit a root with my Craftsman 6.75 Horsepower 22-inch lawnmower (Briggs and Stratton). The blade was bent, so I replaced it.
Then the mower wouldn't restart. I replaced the air filter and the sparkplug, but it still won't start. I can see that when I try to restart it, the blade seems to turn fine, so I'm assuming that there wasn't more damage underneath somewhere from hitting the root.
When I try to restart, there is at times a little black smoke from the muffler and at times the cord doesn't pull entirely smoothly (although it usually does).
Any ideas? Please?

TIA

P.S. Just now, when I tried to start it again, a little white smoke came out of the muffler.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-05, 11:20 AM
If the engine stopped abruptly, there may be a shear disc or pin on the crank shaft that may have been distorted but didn't shear off completely throwing off the timing. If the timing's off by enough, it'll be almost impossible for it to start. I recommend getting a manual for your machine and see if there's any shear discs or pins you can check for distortion.

Let us know what you find.

-schaapj

Old 06-12-05, 02:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it sounds like you have a sheared flywheel key. Remove the engine shroud and the flywheel nut and have a look. You'll need a puller to remove the flywheel.

Old 06-17-05, 08:45 PM
Sam24
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheese
Yes, it sounds like you have a sheared flywheel key. Remove the engine shroud and the flywheel nut and have a look. You'll need a puller to remove the flywheel.
Thanks!
This is exactly what I found out tonight, after taking it apart. I appreciate the advice!

Old 06-17-05, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help. Did you get it fixed and running?

Old 06-18-05, 03:04 PM
Sam24
Visiting Guest

It's currently in a state of...well, let's just say it currently has a "split" personality. I've got to carve out a little time for it in the next week.

Old 06-25-05, 07:29 AM
Sam24
Visiting Guest
Ok, I wonder if I could get one more bit of help?
Now that I have a little time to devote to it, I wonder if anyone could tell me if the flywheel key for a Briggs and Stratton engine model number 125k020500e1 is aluminum? Can I buy one of these anywhere? Or should I just order it through the site online?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-05, 03:12 PM
Sam24
Visiting Guest

Just wanted to let you know the after putting the machine back together, it started right up! Thanks again!

Old 07-01-05, 11:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job!

Search this Thread