Engine swap from Sentinel to a Huskee

Old 06-12-05, 02:43 AM
Engine swap from Sentinel to a Huskee

Alright everyone, I have pretty much got rid of that Sentinel that was nothing but trouble. My friend was mowing his yard with his Huskee lawnmower and the engine threw or broke a rod. There are broken stuff all in the block but he gave me the engine for spare parts because his engine is almost exactly like mine. Well, he gave me the lawnmower and helped me swap over my 12 hp B&S Powerbuilt to it. The lawnmower is a Huskee with a 12hp B&S Powerbuilt and it has a 42 inch cutting width. I have two questions about it.

Alright, the first one is when I turn the key over the lawnmower used to make a clicking noise but now it does nothing. It just recently had a new switch put in. When you turn the key on to run, and cross the solenoid over, it fires right up. That means the solenoid is bad, right? I was wondering if I could buy this solenoid
and mount it somewhere else for easy access? It is an mtd but it should fit if it can be mounted right.

Also, I have one question about the deck belt. When you turn the mower on, the belt will start to turn the blades and eventually start squeaking or smoking. I think that it has a belt for a 42 inch deck on it but it is too small. I have a piece that seperates the drive belt from the deck belt and has to bars along the sides of the pulley or spindle on the engine. I thought that it was the cause but when you take it off, the blades won't even engage. What should I do, buy a bigger belt and what size? I can get model numbers etc. off of the mower in about three hours when sunrises and I get some sleep.

Thank you in advance and always, help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 09:52 AM
Question

Alright, I think that I missed something with the belt last night when I tried it out without the belt cover. There is a piece on the tensioner that has to have the belt behind it. That may be why the deck would not engage. I am going to try to get a solenoid today or tommorrow.

Could the solenoid be a reason that the lights won't even come on when the battery is fine?

Old 06-12-05, 07:48 PM
Unhappy Good news...........and now bad news..........Repair needed to be done by tommorrow

Alright, my friend that gave me the lawnmower came to town and we got to talking about the lawnmower and went out looking for him a new one but we had no luck. His dad is pretty picky about what he wants since he was an engineer for MTD for a while. Anyways, we got the lawnmower started by swapping the solenoids out and we fixed the deck problem by putting the belt on right. After that, I mowed my backyard. Also, we connected the lights by putting new wiring in and they work great. After all was said and done I recieved a call so I leave for a Christian Teen Camp for a week tommorrow afternoon sometime so if I am going to fix the mower, I have to do it early tomorrow morning.

Alright, the problem. I started mowing my neigbors lawn and all of a sudden I heard a loud squealing/grinding sound so I put the lawnmower in neutral while it was running and looked under where the motor is and the deck belt is attached to the motor and saw sparks . I shut the lawnmower off without disengaging the deck or turning the throttle down. Now, I went back to start it up and no luck. I tried jumping it off, crossing the solenoid, and I even changed starters. I called my friend and he told me to check all of the linkage on the deck and it was all fine. I was checking the wiring for some kind of arch and I discovered that I have some sort of wire under the mower that is supposed to be a deck safety switch. It connects to the deck and is like a plug with a positive and neg wire (I think). Anyways, I changed the starter, checked the battery and the lights work fine and battery is fine, turned the engine over by hand and it is not locked up. Just put a solenoid on today and wouldn't turn over even if solenoid was crossed.

HELP CHEESE, AZIS, PUEY, SOMEONE please!!!!!

Old 06-12-05, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have a voltmeter? Test light? Sounds like a safety switch problem or a blown fuse, or a number of possibilities. Start tracing the wiring from the switch to the solenoid and checking for voltage when turning the key to start. The spot where you lose voltage is where the problem lies.

Old 06-13-05, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by cheese
Do you have a voltmeter? Test light? Sounds like a safety switch problem or a blown fuse, or a number of possibilities. Start tracing the wiring from the switch to the solenoid and checking for voltage when turning the key to start. The spot where you lose voltage is where the problem lies.
Well, I do not have a voltmeter but I can borrow one from my sister. I will go outside this morning with the maglite and check everything out just make sure that I don't see any crimped wires. I will check for the fuses the may be blown. See ya in a week.

Old 06-13-05, 09:40 AM
Yessss!!!!

Originally Posted by cheese
Alright, checked the engine for wires that were damaged and found none. I found that the deck saftey switch wasn't plugged all the way and plugged it back up. I put a solenoid in from a F-150 and charged the battery and she fired right up. The noise that I heard was the pulleys or spindles hitting something when the deck is on an uneven surface. Thanks a bunch cheese.

Old 06-13-05, 11:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem!