mower won't stay started

Old 06-13-05, 03:15 PM
rat1953
Visiting Guest
Angry mower won't stay started

I'm having trouble keeping my craftsman 4.5 Mod.#917.388224 started. I changed my filter my spark plug, and clean out my gas tank, and put new gas in, I also changed my oil. After i start it. it dosen't stay started, all i get is sputtering, and and a low and fast idle. then it shuts down. sometime it stay started.but once i start pushing it shut down. is there anything i can do myself to fix this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 11:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your carburetor needs cleaning. Remove the bowl, clean it out, and pay particular attention to the 4 tiny holes in the bowl screw. Make sure they are clean and clear.

Old 06-14-05, 02:09 PM
rat1953
Visiting Guest
Question how do u locate the carb

thank u cheese. stupid question where do i locate the carb. is it that pipe attach to my air filter.

Old 06-15-05, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's the metal part that the primer bulb is mounted to.

Old 06-20-05, 08:43 AM
That solution worked fine for me. I had originally just taken out the 1/2" bowl screw and drained the carb bowl thinking that somehow there was some water in the tank. I then reassemled and tried again. As usual, 3 pumps on the bulb and it would start fine, but stop within seconds, unless I kept pumping on the starter bulb. I thought by doing so, I may be able to clean out whatever was causing this but it didn't work.
So second time around I actually removed the bowl, cleaned the seal and the interior of the bowl, wiped off the float and blew some compressed air through the holes in the bowl screw.
It then started like a charm and have mowed the lawn all within 2 hours of reading Cheese's post. Thanks.

Old 06-21-05, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help!

Old 06-21-05, 07:05 AM
Just finished the second half of the lawn.