sears chipper carburator

Old 06-15-05, 01:19 PM
sears chipper carburator

i have a sears craftsman chipper shredder that was bought new 4 years ago. When I put gas in the tank, the gas pours out of the air filter. I don't have the manual, I don't know if there are any springs missing, no photo. It is 6.5 hp and has a model #247.775870, Ser# 1f229610351. The engine model # is 143.986501. Family WTPXS195. Displacement 195.
I need help on this situation, or a manual with pictures of the carb. I opened carb. float moves freely, needle valve opens and closes. Primer works. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-05, 06:13 PM
carb problem

sounds like the float is full of gas. You can tell by shaking it--if so get a new one

S/T

Old 06-15-05, 06:20 PM
chipper

Thanks, I will try that. Can you tell who the maker of this engine and carb from the numbers I listed. I can't seem to find it on the internet. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-05, 11:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a tecumseh engine. I suspect you'll need a new needle and seat, but possibly a float as well. Check and see.

Old 07-12-07, 12:05 PM
Sears chipper, shredder gas problem

I have a 6.5hp sears craftsman chipper shredder model #247.775870. When I put gas in the tank, the gas pours out of the air filter. When I put the engine away several years ago everything was working fine. I may have opened a drain valve? I do not have the manual to determine what action I can take. This is just like the problem reported by aabbasi in May 2004.

Can anyone help me?

Old 07-12-07, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by patch123 View Post
I have a 6.5hp sears craftsman chipper shredder model #247.775870. When I put gas in the tank, the gas pours out of the air filter. When I put the engine away several years ago everything was working fine. I may have opened a drain valve? I do not have the manual to determine what action I can take. This is just like the problem reported by aabbasi in May 2004. Can anyone help me?
Probably you left some gas in it when you stored it and it gummed up. Most likely cause is gum is holding the float valve open, allowing additional gas to enter the bowl and overflow at the air intake.

Remove the carb bowl from the carb, remove the float and float valve and clean with a can of spray carb cleaner. Pay particular attention to the top of the needle valve and the seat (still in the carb). Reassemble, add fresh gas it is should be ok.

Always use gum out (or similar) in your gas can as fall nears.

Old 07-12-07, 06:49 PM
Your best bet is to clean the carb by removing the fuel bowl. Most of these units have a brass float which probably turned green in color and might have a hole in it. You will have to also replace the needle and seat and use new gaskets. If the unit is really gelled up and green, remove the carb and have it professionally boiled out chemically or if it is beyond help replaced.

Old 07-13-07, 08:05 AM
Sears chipper, shredder gas problem

Thank you both for your help. I have the bad habit of leaving gas in the tank. Last year it cost me $45 to clean my power sprayer carburator.