Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problematic Murray 17.5hp OHV Rider Mower

Visiting Guest

06-20-05, 05:39 PM   #1  
terryrschneider
Problematic Murray 17.5hp OHV Rider Mower

I put my Murray away in the fall. In December, I went to crank it, but it wouldn't crank-up. Usually, any problems like this were due to bad battery connections or the battery needing a charge. This did not help. I tried a new battery. No help. I tried a new spark plug. No help. I tried jump starting it. No help. The solenoid clicks. The starter and fly wheel move(just a little). I pulled the spark plug out and reconnected it. I see no spark. My repair shop said to tighten the OHV with a 10mm socket wrench. I did this about half a turn. No help. My grass is getting tall. I don't know what to do next. I'm not able to take it in to the shop. They are also 15-20 miles away. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

MI

06-20-05, 06:59 PM   #2  
try turning the flywheel with a wrench to see if it is seized, hopefully it isnt and turning it will loosen it up a little. you can also try squirting a little oil in the sparkplug hole to see if that helps.
if it turns easily you might want to pull off the starter and hook it up to a battery directly to see if it works

good luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-05, 12:18 AM   #3  
Does the engine turn without the plug in it? If so, you'll need to adjust your valves. Set them both to .005".

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-21-05, 09:02 AM   #4  
terryrschneider
With the plug out the flywheel and start move only a little. maybe half a inch. There was really no difference with in or out. I was just checking for a spark.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-05, 01:23 AM   #5  
There won't be any spark unless the engine can turn.

Can you turn the engine by hand? Is the engine full of oil? Check the belts underneath to make sure they aren't tight and keeping the engine from turning. If not, then remove the starter and check it out. If it's ok, then pull the valve cover off and make sure the rocker arms are on the valves. If so, pull the flywheel and check for a loose magnet inside the flywheel. If not, you have internal engine problems.

Another thing, make sure the belts aren't stuck to the engine pulley. Sometimes they get stuck while in storage, especially in humid conditions.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread