Cleaning under carriage of lawn mower

Old 06-21-05, 10:05 PM
Cleaning under carriage of lawn mower

OK, probably seems like a really stupid question, but, what is the best way to get to the under carriage of a lawn mower to clean off the stuck on grass? The reason I ask is, I would assume that turning the mower over or on its side would cause the oil or gas to run or get into places it shouldn't be. Is is safe to turn it on its side? Does it matter which side? Again, I realize this sounds stupid, at least for a guy to be asking this, but hey, it's new to me!. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 11:18 PM
A lot depends on where the gas tank is located. I usually clean mine after mowing and the gas tank is pretty empty. I don't turn it over though. I have a 2x4 that I cut to hold up the front end and a concrete block to keep it from rolling back. I prop the front of the mower up on the 2x4 and clean off the whole deck with a 5 in 1 tool. Then rinse with the hose. Good luck.
ALWAYS disconnect the spark plug wire before doing anything under the mower deck.

Old 06-22-05, 03:28 AM
I suggest using a floor jack with a good throw (lift height) as well as a safety jack on the front end of the machine. Set the parking brake while doing so.

Old 06-22-05, 05:14 AM
Turn the mower on the side with the air filter facing .. UP. I just scrape the excess grass clippings off with a garden trowel. No water.

Old 06-22-05, 05:34 AM
Great, thanks guys.

Old 06-22-05, 07:26 AM
You can also use a pressure washer on the low/delicate nozzle to clean the deck and undercarriage, it does a great job.

Last edited by littleworker; 06-22-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 06:05 AM
Let me throw this into the mix. I bought a plastic spray attachment for the end of a water hose called "Wash-A-Way" last summer. Here are the instructions on it:

"Just slide the Wash-A-Way sprayer under edge of mower deck (up to deck stops), turn on water, start mower and let the cutting blades take over as they power wash grass clippings away. For best results use immediately after mowing while still on grass and with deck at mowing height. Can be used on both side discharge and mulching mowers. Also works on riding mowers. Slide the Wash-A-Way sprayer under edge of deck on opposite side of grass discharge. Spinning blades will do the rest."

The product is sold by "Surban Sales, PO Box 1265, Clarkston, MI 48347. Ph (248) 969-9545, Fax (248) 969-8845.

My observations: Don't recall the price, but it was probably between $5 and $15. If used conscientiously after each mowing (which I don't), it clears out fresh accumulations pretty well. It doesn't work on dried, caked on accumulations very well at all. I've used it a few times, but because I'm too lazy to do it after each mowing, it is pretty much gathering dust in my garage. If you are one of those rare people who wants to keep the underside of their mower deck pristine and are willing to make the effort, it might be worth a try. Frankly, when I'm finished mowing, I'm usually too pooped to bother cleaning up to that extent.
JCCremer

Old 06-27-05, 06:42 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61
I suggest using a floor jack with a good throw (lift height) as well as a safety jack on the front end of the machine. Set the parking brake while doing so.
I think this the best method and safest for all concerns. A regular lawn sprinkler set under the deck with water on for 30 mins or so can do wonders also...then just collect the compost.