Troybilt Mower won't stay running?

Old 06-29-05, 10:17 AM
donm1021
Visiting Guest
Troybilt Mower won't stay running?

I have a Troybilt Lawn Tractor with a Briggs & Stratton 19hp Intek Twin OHV and I have had it for 3 years. It has run flawlessly until this year.

I can start it and it will run fine for about 10 minutes, and then it will start to try and die... I can pull the choke just a bit and it will run a little while longer... I have to continue to pull the choke a bit at a time for about 5-10 minutes of running time until it finally stalls and won't start back up for about 30 minutes.

At which time it will run for about 10 more minutes. It will continue this routine until I finish the yard.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

I saw today when I began that the inline gas filter was full of gas when I started - when it died, the filter was bone dry. After about 30 minutes, the filter has filled to about halfway again. Could this be the problem? Need a new gas filter?

I know absolutely nothing about small engines - and would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!

D

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 10:28 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
When it dies try loosening the fuel cap, see if the filter fills or the engine will restart. If so the fuel cap is not venting. Possibly debris in tank also restricting fuel flow.

Old 06-29-05, 11:38 AM
donm1021
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Azis
When it dies try loosening the fuel cap, see if the filter fills or the engine will restart. If so the fuel cap is not venting. Possibly debris in tank also restricting fuel flow.
Thanks - I tried that, doesn't seem to help. The mower will still run after about 30 minutes for only about 10 minutes, it will then shut down and after about 30 minutes, will start up again and run for about 10 minutes.

Each time when it shuts down, I check the gas filter and it is bone dry. After about 30 minutes, its full again?

Stumped here on what it could be.

D

Old 06-29-05, 12:49 PM
section8joe
Visiting Guest
my craftsman tractor does the same thing. It has a kohler engine. i changed the air,fuel,gas,spark plug, starter selonoiod and it still keeps backfiring and shutting off. what do you think the problem might be.

Old 06-29-05, 12:59 PM
troybilt mower

Have you changed the in-line filter to an original one?
Could be the filter is not porous enough to let the gas filter thru fast enough?
excess hose creating a droop in the line?
filter level or mount with outlet slightly down?
Is filter mounted between the bottom of the tank and top
of the carb?, not higher than tank or lower than carb inlet? inlet and outlet
of filter facing the right way?
hoses good? not mushy,weather checked? also check the end of the hoses,
when installing the filter,the edge of the pipe on the filter didn't cut into the hose and shave a little of the inside of the hose and slightly block the flow of gas.
Just some silly wild a$$ guesses!
Hope you find cause of problem!
T.J. terry

Old 06-29-05, 01:03 PM
troybilt mower

My post was for donm1021
don't know on section8joe,sorry!
T.J. terry

Old 06-29-05, 06:35 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Azis
Possibly debris in tank also restricting fuel flow.
The fuel line from the tank could also be plugged or just bad.

If the line is routed so that there is a low point between the tank outlet and the filter, fuel may not fill the filter unless the engine is running and the diaphram is pumping. The diaphram on the front of the carb is the fuel pump and may need replaced.
If when it stalls you can slightly pressurize the tank, see if the filter fills and the tool will start.