3-blade deck cuts poorly

Old 06-29-05, 01:39 PM
DavidFoster
Visiting Guest
3-blade deck cuts poorly

I have an old (1984) Wheelhorse lawn tractor with a 42" cutting deck, which leaves a strip of grass approximately 10" uncut or cluttered with clippings near the center of the deck. If I mow over it again, the grass is cut cleanly, or if I mow very, very slowly (low, in 1st gear). I usually cut about 1/2" to 1" off the top of the lawn, nothing too excessive.

The blades, one spindle and the bearings are new, they are spinning in the right direction and the underside of the deck is fairly clean.

Has anyone else run into this? It's a little frustrating to have a 42" cut that has to be done twice.

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 10:30 PM
no cutting

Hi
I suspect you may not be getting air flow through the mandrel mounting. There is usually a space there for air buit it gets plugged with grass. I hope this cures your problem but I can't be sure because I don't know the configuration of the mandrel.

S/T

Old 06-30-05, 02:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there any chance your baldes are on upside down?

Old 06-30-05, 09:45 AM
DavidFoster
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the answers. I'm not clear what the mandrel mounting is, there is nothing named that way in the tech drawings from Toro (which bought Wheelhorse.) I will go over the deck with a wire brush and clear any holes I can find. How big should the hole be?

As for the blades being upside down, the drawings show the blades should have the curved part going up, as in curving away from the ground. Is this not correct?

Thanks again for the help.

David

Old 07-01-05, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have the blades on right. I'm not sure there should be any vent holes in your deck. Is the center blade turned by the same belt that the outer blades are driven by? Is the deck level from front to back? Have you checked the underside of the deck for accumulated grass clippings stuck to the underside?