Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh HH120 voltage regulator

Visiting Guest

06-29-05, 02:10 PM   #1  
Herb 1253
Tecumseh HH120 voltage regulator

I have a 1970 Bolens 1253 tractor with a HH120 engine. Lately the engine will only start when assisted with another battery. The battery can be charged with an external battery charger. I suspect he voltage regulator as it puts out anywhere form 10 to 18V without a load (battery not connected), depending on engine rpm.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? I am also curiuos to know whether I can use an automotive regulator from a chunk yard. Thanks in advance for any help you cna provide.

Herb

Sponsored Links

06-29-05, 10:39 PM   #2  
regulator

The regulator is a solid state thingie--you can not use an automotive type because alternators produce alternating current and a tractor charge system produces direct current.

S/T

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-05, 01:58 AM   #3  
I don't think I ever saw a small engine alternator produce direct current. They produce alternating current and rectify it either by means of a diode inline or in the regulator to convert it to DC. I would suspect the battery given your description of the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread