Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower keeps dieing

Visiting Guest

07-04-05, 11:53 AM   #1  
Dreamcatcher
Lawn Mower keeps dieing

I have a 3.5 HP rear bagger MTD Lawn mower. I was having trouble with the Coil assembly, and to use the mower I removed it from the top, using a slim rope around the gear on the top of the engine, to start it. It works, but I can only mow a strip at a time, before it dies. Is it possible the starter clutch is gone, or going, and this is why it keeps dieing? I've changed the oil, filter and spark plug.

Sponsored Links

NC

07-05-05, 03:21 PM   #2  
Dreamcatcher,

From your post I assume your speaking of removing the blower housing that contains the rewind starter. If so, do not do so. The engine will severely over heat. Without the top cover the flywheels air flow will not be directed through to the cooling fins on the cylinder walls and the head. This is the reason why this engine will only run for 10 minutes at a time and will eventually ruin it if it has not already. You may be able to repair the rewind with a few inexpensive parts.

God Bless
Dave237

Search this Thread