Craftsman Rototiller won't start

Old 07-04-05, 02:50 PM
Deb06
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Rototiller won't start

I have a Craftsman Model 917.295352 5-HP rototiller. When pulling the recoil starter, it barely starts to turn over. It has new oil and gas. I've changed the spark plug. Any ideas on what I can do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 04:54 PM
Hello deb06,

Remove the spark plug. Add with a funnel, a tablepoon or so of raw gas in the spark plug hole. reinstall the spark plug. If it will fire up for a few strokes then you will need to clean/rebuild the carb. If it does not try then it will be spark related. In either case post back with your complete engine ID number stamped on the top/front of your engine.

God Bless
Dave237

Old 07-06-05, 07:27 AM
Deb06
Visiting Guest
Thank you. Will do. It probably won't be until the weekend since there's a tropical storm coming and lots of rain.

Old 07-09-05, 10:19 AM
Deb06
Visiting Guest
Still didn't start

I tried the raw gas in the spark plug hold and it still did not start. I have a Briggs and Stratton 5-HP engine. The engine model is 135202, Type 011901, Code 55121470.

I also saw something that I don't believe is normal. I opened the air filter compartment to clean or replace the air filter, and there was oil in the air filter compartment (and a very oily air filter). Does this make sense?

Debbie

Old 07-09-05, 06:06 PM
Deb06,

Being your engine didn't fire with the raw gas in the cylinder; you will need to verify spark at the plug. Remove the plug wire from the plug tip. Slide the boot above the metal connector. Secure the tip very close (30/1000 of an inch) to the engine block without touching. Pull the starter cord. You should see a spark. If so all is good here.

As you thought; oil in the carb is not a good thing and I would suspect this will be your problem. Make sure oil level is at the correct level. If not this can cause this problem. If oil level is correct; the place to look will be the crank case breather. Follow the large tube from the filter tray down to the engine block. There will be a pan type breather that this tube connects to. It will contain two screws. Replace it. It's part number is: 495774 and the gasket:27549. Make sure to scrape clean the old gasket from the block before installing the new breather/gasket.

A thorough carb cleaning will be in order due to the oil from the breather. Let us know how it goes.

God Bless,
Dave

Old 07-10-05, 04:45 AM
Deb06
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again it may be a while if I don't manage to get to it this morning since Hurricane Dennis is on the way. I'm in northern Alabama.

Old 07-11-05, 11:54 PM
As in my last post; verifying spark should be your first check. Again, make sure you check the oil level for proper amount before replacing the breather. To much oil in the crank case is the most likely cause for oil in the carb. It's also possible that someone else had filled the engine to full of oil before. Also, if this engine has a foam air cleaner then this filter should be lightly oiled but not to the point of dripping into the carb.

God Bless
Dave