Tecumseh Hydrostatic Transmission Problems

Old 07-05-05, 05:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh Hydrostatic Transmission Problems

In order to remove/replace the drive pulley from Murray 42" lawn tractor I had to take it apart down to removing the rear wheel/transmission assembly.
In trying to pull the pulley off, the pulley AND drive shaft to transmission came out (this can't be a good thing...). I think a was able to get the drive shaft reinserted to the transmission properly. Everrything seem to move OK. Has been in garage, still disassembled for a few weeks. The transmission has been hanging in a "downward direction" (as opposed to its normal horizontal orientation when properly attached to the tractor). This weekend noticed it has been leaking fluid from both left and right sides of the transmission. Not a lot, about maybe 2 tablespoons or so. But now it seems the drive shaft is frozen, will not turn with the wheels. Any ideas for me? Does the loss of fluid cause this? Could the be the end of this lawn tractor? Did I really mess up here?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-05, 10:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Dave!

The leaking is probably no big deal, since the sump is in the bottom of the tranny, and if it is not in the horizontal position, then the oil is not in the sump. During normal operation, very little oil gets to the areas it's leaking from.

As far as the shaft and it being stuck....When the shaft came out of the tranny, it was because the snap ring that holds it in broke or slipped off. It probably got wedged in the tranny and jammed it. To repair, disassembly is required. I would take it apart in a clean environment (don't let dirt get in the tranny...at all). Look it over inside. You'll be surprised at how simple it is. Get the old snap ring out and replace it (don't re-use the old one). Check it over, make sure it is freed up again, and reassemble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: