Toro 8 horse rear engine reader

Old 07-06-05, 01:07 PM
jordanstl
Visiting Guest
Toro 8 horse rear engine reader

I inherited a Toro rear engine rider with a 25 inch deck. My grandma's friend gave it to me. I broke the engine down and the connecting rod is wasted I never seen this much damage to a rod. She ran it out of oil because there was hardly any. Well my question is when the rod broke it cracked the block. Itís a hair line crack. So I looked at the prices for a new block $200+ and a new rod is $45 so I got some JB weld and filled in the crack in the block. The piston, cylinder, and crank look to be ok. How good is the chance that it will hold? How long will it hold? Would I be better off getting a used engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-05, 02:32 PM
My experience with epoxy is that it does not penetrate small cracks. Rather, it sits on top the crack, and therefore does nothing to seal it.

Old 07-06-05, 08:14 PM
As far as how well the epoxy will hold, who knows, will it leak any oil, again now sure. In industrial applications such as offshore, a crack will sometimes be filled in my taking a grinder and forming a v-groove in the crack and then force very hard drying epoxy into the crack, however, this is more of patching up. Another "better" way to fix it would be to take the engine down to the local vo-tech school and have them braze the crack. I say take it to the vo-tech school because I attended on for 2 1/2 years and have seen many people take some pathetic junk in to get it fixed so this should qualify as a learning project for someone. They could braze up the crack for free, but since the block is made of aluminium, it can be damaged by an inexperienced person since if the torch is held on the aluminium too long, it creates little "perspiration bubbles" on the surface and once they pop, it leaves little pock marks in the surface. But to make a long story short, epoxy might do it, but brazing would be the preffered repair.It is possible to weld the crack in the aluminium if they could, but that takes special equipment. No need to change the block unless the crack is long and compromises the structural integrity of the engine. In other words, if the epoxy does it good, if it don't, weld it or braze it.