Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5 HP tiller

Visiting Guest

07-07-05, 01:58 PM   #1  
cork
5 HP tiller

Hello i have a 5 HP Briggs tiller front tine, and it keeps shearing the key off in the flywheel, i have changed the flywheel but it still shears the key. i even put a steel key in it and it sheared it off also. i hope someone has a reason why. thank inadvance. cork

Sponsored Links

TX

07-07-05, 05:34 PM   #2  
Two questions: 1- How tight are you getting the flywheel nut?
2- Are you digging up rocks with the tiller?
Mike A

NC

07-07-05, 09:30 PM   #3  
You have either a very worn keyway on the crank or a rebound of the flywheel caused by a sudden rewind of the flywheel. The later of which you would be well aware of when it occurs which would indicate a problem in the drive train. Check the shereing of the key itself. Did it shere from the flywheel side of the key or the crank side of the key?

God Bless,
Dave237

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-05, 12:14 AM   #4  
Another possibility, does the engine backfire a lot? Is it old (old enough to have points)? If so, you may need to replace the points, or at least clean and adjust them to prevent the kickback that may be causing the key to shear. What are the model, type, and code #s of your engine?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-11-05, 06:01 PM   #5  
cork
5 hp tiller motor

Thanks for the reply, checking the points in my next step, when i have a little time to play with it again. after that it will be a conversation piece in the lawn if that does not work. thanks again. cork

07-12-05, 09:09 PM   #6  
REmember--a very tight flywheel nut is the key to keeping the key in one piece.

S/T

Search this Thread