Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel problems- briggs 16 hp

Visiting Guest

07-13-05, 10:01 AM   #1  
koz
fuel problems- briggs 16 hp

Hello:

I had help from you guys early this year, and got my lawn tractor running like a top. I replaced the coil, fuel line, fuel filter, and rebuilt the carb with a kit. I also removed the valve covers and cleaned all the carbon out. Life was good,for 2 months, untill last week, when the tractor died in the middle of my backyard.
It just quit. I was able to restart it, but now it only runs with the choke on.
I read some of the other posts, rechecked the fuel lines, fuel filter and re-cleaned the carb,including all the tiny ports. Re installed the carb. Set idle,
and fuel needle valve mixture to specs. It starts right up,and purrs like a kitten on low speed, but as soon as I get to 1/2 full throttle, it starts to die, and will kill on me unless I pull the choke out. What am I missing! ARGH!

Thanks,

koz

Sponsored Links

PA

07-13-05, 03:44 PM   #2  
still got something in the carb... open the high idle 1/8 at a time till smooths out

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-14-05, 12:48 AM   #3  
I agree. Did you remove the main jet and clean it out and the area in the carb behind it? It's accessible through the drain plug hole, and is removed with an allen wrench...3/16" I believe.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-14-05, 06:32 AM   #4  
koz
Will do both suggestions, and let you know how I come out. - I was messing with the high speed idle like you suggested, turning an 1/8 of a turn at a time, but it still will only get to 3/4 of full throttle,and if I put a load on the engine ( i.e. I engage the mower ) she will kick out again. Cheese I did not
remove main jet - will follow your instructions, and report back.
By the way cheese - it was a bad coil. ( Iwrote you earlier in the year on this.)

koz

Last edited by koz; 07-14-05 at 06:34 AM. Reason: wrong word

Visiting Guest

07-15-05, 06:10 AM   #5  
koz
I looked for the fixed jet valve last night so I could take it out an clean it, but could NOT locate it.... Excuse me for being ignorant, but the parts list only shows it as #117 jet needle valve - fixed. It does not show the location of it. Is it in the upper half of the carb? on thel left or right side?
Behind the fuel pump? Lower half of carb? I could not find it. Engine is a model 402707 type 0145 01 code 85021112.

Help!

koz

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-05, 02:44 AM   #6  
Do you see the drain plug on the left side of the carb? You can look into the drain hole and see the main jet. It's on the midsection of the carb near the bottom of the bowl area.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-18-05, 09:43 AM   #7  
koz
Hi Cheese:

Yes, I found it.... right behind the fuel solenoid! Took it out, cleaned put it back in, same problems. Decided to check the darn solenoid! Put 12 volts across solenoid - nothing happend. My darn fuel solenoid is not working.
I broke the valve off of the solenoid, and replaced it......... And now my engine is running fine! It appears that the solenoid was the problem.It was not opening up. Now I have 2 quetsions... 1. Do I really need to replace the solenoid at all( will it cause any problems not having it? ) 2. The solenoid is very expensive. - do you know of a good place to look for a used one. I would rather pay $20 - $30 for a used one, than have to pay $60 or more for a new one. If I understand it right, this fuel solenoid only stops fuel from flowing through the fixed jet when the engine is not running.

Please advise,

koz

Visiting Guest

07-18-05, 04:45 PM   #8  
Azis
If the plug or wires are properly dead headed, you can replace the solenoid with a like threaded bolt.
If removed, extra care should be taken during storage and normal shut down. During shutdown this valve prevents fuel from continuing to the cylinder while the momentum of the engine comes to a hault. In doing so I also help to reduce backfire in certain instances. Excessive unburned fuel in the cylinder dilutes the oil and can be fatal. Check and change your oil more often. Shutdown from idle and not high speed. Plugs may foul sooner, but not abnormaly so.
There should be a female plug coming from the chassis or harness. The end can be taped up and wires and plug securely tied. This plug will still be active and could be cause shorts if wires are damaged or pinched.

Search this Thread