Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel stabilizer

FL

07-16-05, 05:14 AM   #1  
Fuel stabilizer

I have 3 questions about fuel and fuel stablizer:
First, should I avoid using old unleaded fuel (less than 6 months) that was treated with stabilizer in my vehicles? I store about 70 gal. for a generator for hurricane emergencies.
Second, should stabilizer be used in engines that use gas/oil mixtures? My ryobi trimmer simply says to not use fuel more than 30 days old and nothing about stabilizer. I can barely get through a tank in that time, let alone a gallon can.
Third, how to dispose of old gasoline?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-16-05, 08:10 AM   #2  
Just speaking for myself, I use stabilizer in both my four cycle and two cycle fuels. The two cycle weed eater and chain saw sit all winter and fire right up in the spring. If I decide that the stored ( 1 & 5 gallon cans ) fuel is too old, I just dump it in the car. A few ounces of two cycle oil mixed with 18 gallons in the car doesn't hurt the car. Then I get fresh fuel for the cans - with stabilizer added. By the way, 70 gallons of gas is a lot to have sitting around. I hope that you have it properly stored away from your house.

That's my nickel's worth ( 2 cents plus inflation )

FL

07-16-05, 11:10 AM   #3  
Thanks for the safety advice - the gas is stored in an open carport in self-venting cans away from the house.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-05, 11:43 PM   #4  
You can use it in the car, and you should be fine using it in the trimmer too. The more gas you have in one container, the longer it takes to go stale. A cupful will go stale much faster than 20 gallons.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Super Moderator

CANADA

07-17-05, 07:09 AM   #5  
I once received some advice that what makes old gas less potent is due to the loss of the octane improver butane
Butane added to gas is what makes up the fumes you see hovering over fresh gas.
The suggestion was to use a small amount of octane improver to restore the fuel's vigor.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

07-18-05, 07:41 AM   #6  
Azis
Heat and temp variation are the main reasons for fuel breakdown. Heat will cause the fuel to break down chemicaly. Fuel tanks are black for the same reason as radiators, to help draw heat away from the fuel. Excessive changes in temps from warm to cold will also cause fuel to breakdown or become contaminated quicker, mainly by condensation if temps are cool enuff and humidity high.
Smaller amounts of fuel will breakdown sooner because the mass is less and is not able to maintain a constant temp as well as a larger amount.
Bad gas is bad gas and can not be rejuvinated as such. By adding octane boost you may be able to use old gas, but you have not restored or removed any contaminants.
Old gas that has begun to breakdown or is suspected of moisture contamination can be used in some less sensitive engines. Most newer vehicles do not fit this description in my book. Most newer vehicles are designed to run on the lowest octane pump gas available and do not tolerate bad fuel or contaminants well.

Fuel stabilizers attempt to properties that bond molecules in the fuel that normally seperate under adverse conditions. They do work and will help, although there is no substitute for proper storage. Cool constant temps, dark and dry.

Search this Thread