Honda Generator Seized

Old 07-18-05, 09:49 AM
tgranat
Visiting Guest
Honda Generator Seized

I have a Honda EU100i generator with a GXH 50 engine. The unit tipped over while running and it appears that the engine has seized, (Can't pull on the starter rope, no movement). Is it worth repairing the engine or just get a replacement engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably worth repairing, but finding the cause and determining the extent of damage is the only way to know for sure. Try turning it with the spark plug out.

Old 07-19-05, 04:37 AM
tgranat
Visiting Guest
Already took out spark plug and the engine will not budge with the starter rope. Suspect the connecting rod is siezed to the crank due to lack of oil when the unit tipped over.

Old 07-19-05, 04:45 AM
Since the generator is attached directly to the PTO end of the crankshaft and you can't absolutely rule this out as a potential problem, the first thing to check is to pull the flywheel shroud off and see if you can spin the flywheel by hand (backwards of its normal rotation). The next step would be to isolate the engine as the source of trouble by removing the generator from the engine and again trying to spin the engine over by hand. If it still won't at this point then you'll need to remove the engine sump cover and do an inspection of the guts as well as removal of the cylinder head.

Old 07-24-05, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
I've never worked on an EU series generator but I think the generator is the flywheel. I'm not sure you can seperate the two. I suspect either the connecting rod or the piston is galled in place.

I've got an eu2000 and a eu3000 and I hope I never have to work on them. I am sure it will be a bit of work just getting to the engine proper.