Dead Ryobi trimmer worth the fight?

Old 07-19-05, 08:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dead Ryobi trimmer worth the fight?

I have a brand new Ryobi gas trimmer (model BC30, which can also be used as a brush cutter) that stopped working (puttered out, died, then wouldn't start). I properly mixed the gas and 2-cycle oil and it was on its first tankful, which was fairly fresh. I took it to an authorized Ryobi repair shop, which pronounced it dead and not worth fixing. I purchased the trimmer at a large appliance store with an orange roof. The Ryobi shop said that the chances of trying to get the refund/exchange through the orange roof store were probably small, saying that although he believed I properly mixed the gas and oil, the orange roof store would likely not believe me and make it difficult to grant an exchange/refund. My questions are these: 1) Was the Ryobi shop giving me a line so I would purchase a better trimmer from him? 2) Is it in fact worth the hassle of getting the refund ($150 paid)? 3) Should I cut my losses and purchase a better commercial grade trimmer, having learned the lesson that you get what you pay for?

Old 07-19-05, 08:50 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If the engine did not and is not, seized, then fuel/oil should have nothing to do with it not running. Just what was the problem found that is not worth repairing???
If it is new, how new.....? I would let the folks in the building with the orange roof, speak for themselves!!!
You do get what u pay for, however I have had a Ryobi string trimmer for 10+ yrs and have not done any maintenance other than preventitive, and have had absolutely no troubles. It was purchased in the same price range as yours 10yrs ago from a store with an orange roof :P

Old 07-19-05, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm not an expert so I may not have the terminology down correctly, but the repair shop said there was no compression so to get inside the engine to determine what was wrong was going to cost as much, if not more, to replace it.

Old 07-19-05, 09:10 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I would still give the orange roof a chance. I personally have had a very good relationship there.
If you are absolutely confident u followed the instructions correctly, I would think your chances of refund or at least exchange or in store credit would be high. The worse they could do is say "No" and perhaps loose a customer...?

Old 07-19-05, 11:26 AM
I just called the orange-roofed store and they'll give me a store credit since it's so new! On being sure I filled mixed properly, to ensure I did, I used a one-gallon gasoline container, added the Ryobi 2-cycle mix (for mixing with one gallon of fuel), then added the one gallon of fuel to it. Is that all that is required or did I miss a critical step?

Old 07-19-05, 06:50 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I would waste little time taking them up on their offer. I do believe Ryobi carries a lesser reputation than some of the other brands. Personally I have not experienced any abnormal problems with any I have serviced or own.
If you were to choose another brand I don't think it would be wasted money. Echo is a solid reputable brand and Toro make good equipment. Toro offers universal attatchments where Echo may not.
I have and use the string head, brush cutter and tiller with my 31cc ryobi.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: