Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blade balancing????

07-22-05, 04:25 PM   #1  
Blade balancing????

Hey y'all!
I just put a new fancy mulching blade on my 5.3 Eager1 that Cheese helped me get started. Someone was tossing it and all it was was a clogged fuel hole.
Anyhow, I had to put a new blade on it but when I turn up the RPM's this puppy really starts to vibrate. Is this blade related and how do I get a blade balanced? I can't do that my self, can I? How much to have someone do it?
Thanks so much for helping out in the past and may God bless!!
Pete

Sponsored Links

NC

07-22-05, 05:08 PM   #2  
alamal,

You will need a heavy file or preferably a grinder. Remove a bit off each side of the blade until it will balance on a screw driver placed through the bolt hole.

However, before doing this check the crank shaft where the blade bolts on. It may be bent. Remove the spark plug first....! Rotate the crank with the blade attached. There should be no up and down movement of the blade tips toward the mower chassis. The blade should rotate in a perfect circle with no wobble. If it doesn’t, you can either replace the crank (not worth it) or trash the mower!

God Bless,
Dave237

07-22-05, 05:43 PM   #3  
Thanks Dave the quick response. Hmmm, that's a pretty big hole Dave. Are you talking the business end of a screwdriver?

NC

07-22-05, 06:11 PM   #4  
alamal,

All you need do is slide the blade (bolt hole) over the shaft of the screw driver held horizontal to the ground. If balanced, the blade will also be parallel to the ground.

The screw driver will be held with the handle pointing toward your stomach horizontal to the ground. Once you slide the blade over the screw driver shaft the blade tips will be right and left of your body. Look for droping of the blade either right or left and adjust by removing metal from the heavy side of the blade.

As you had stated earlier, if this is a new blade it most certainly will be balanced. I suspect that your crank shaft is bent which will cause this condition. Re-bending the crank is not an option due to an internal metal fracture which will make this engine a danger.

Best Of Luck,
God Bless
Dave237

Last edited by dave237; 07-22-05 at 06:22 PM.

NY

07-23-05, 07:01 AM   #5  
First, did you buy one of those "universal" blades where you have to use an adapter in the center of the blade in order to match it up to the size bolt you have? If so, toss the blade out and buy a genuine blade. This ma simply be your only trouble. But, be sure to check the crankshaft for any bend as pointed out by Dave...only, remove the spark plug, tip the mower - muffler side up at a 45 degree angle, remove the blade, using a second person have them squeeze the bale handle and tug on the rope while you look at the end of the crank and watch for any wobble. The severity of the wobble will determine the amount of vibration. If quite severe, you will have a dangerous situation and replacing the crank is the only remedy. This tends to be a rather expensive ordeal and depending on the value of the machine, it may not be worth your time and effort.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-05, 12:43 AM   #6  
Puey61 beat me to it about the "universal blade", lol

Was it vibrating prior to the blade change? If not, either the blade is not centered properly, not balanced, bent, etc... If it's a universal, and the insert in the center is not the correct size, it will vibrate and ruin the engine. I don't like the universal blades at all.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread