Can't pull past 2 Revolutions

Old 07-23-05, 06:19 PM
hank89
Visiting Guest
Can't pull past 2 Revolutions

I have a 7.0 hp Craftsman that is 3 years old...When pulling the starter cord the blade and flywheel will spin for exactly two revolutions and then it stops...I can force it past this point and there sounds like there is some compression going on...Is this a bent crankshaft?...The flywheel looks okay...I don't think its the shear key....I haven't used the mower much...my wife was the last one to use it and she swears she didn't hit anything...The last time I stored it, I stored the mower vertically on it's front end...It's an OHV engine, could some oil have gotten into some place it shouldn't have ???

Thanks,
Hank.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 12:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Hank!

You got it right, oil got into the cylinder from storing it in that position. Remove the spark plug and spin the engine several times. Oil will shoot out the spark plug hole, so you might put a cup or something there to catch it as it blows out. Keep spinning the engine until the oil quits shooting out, clean the oil off the plug, and reinstall and start the engine. It will smoke like a freight train for a few minutes until the oil burns off.

Old 07-24-05, 04:01 PM
hank89
Visiting Guest
Thanks cheese!!
I removed the spark plug and cranked it a few times ...the oil was milky looking so I changed the oil...cleaned up the plug and it did fire ....But the oil looks milky again...I guess I must have screwed something up when I kept trying to crank it previously when the cord wouldn't pull...Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Hank...

Old 07-24-05, 07:30 PM
Milky looking is normal--just has air bubbles in it.
Start er up and kill a few mosquitos with the smoke.

S/T