YardMachines lawn tractor stops moving

Old 07-24-05, 09:54 AM
dalmauvais6
Visiting Guest
YardMachines lawn tractor stops moving

I recently bought a YardMachines Gold lawn tractor with a 17.5HP Briggs and Straton engine. It worked fine for about the first thirty minutes at which point I shut it down to take care of some other yard work. When I started it up again (with the blades disengaged and the engine in nuetral) and placed it in gear, it moved about two feet and then stopped. The engine continued to run, but the tractor wouldn't move. When I shut it down and placed it in nuetral to push it back to the barn, it wouldn't move. The wheels were locked in place as if the transmission were stilll in gear. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can check??? Thanks.

Last edited by cheese; 07-25-05 at 12:01 AM. Reason: removed Email address
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 07:38 PM
standard or hydro?

Old 07-25-05, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like one of two things happened, either the belt came off, or the brake stuck. Visual inspection will reveal if the belt is on or not. If it's the brake, it is on the side of the transaxle. It has a rod going to it from the brake pedal. The rod connects to a lever on the side of the tranny. Try to move this lever forward and backwards by hand. If you get it to move, it is unstuck.

Old 07-25-05, 08:19 AM
dalmauvais6
Visiting Guest
Supertech: standard

Cheese: Thanks. I'll check out the brake this afternoon after work. Also, I looked at the drive belt and it is on, but appears to be slipping. It'll grip for a second when first put in gear and then it slips and won't drive the tractor. Is there a way to adjust the tension or would replacing the belt fix it?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-26-05, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is probably a variadrive setup (does it have a F, N, and R shifter, then a seperate speed selection shifter or a foot pedal you press for speed?). If so, the tension on the tranny pulley is applied by a spring loaded tensioner pulley. The tension on the engine pulley is applied by the rearward movement of the variator. The variator moves according to the speed you have selected. It's a dual-belt system that changes drive ratios with a variable ratio pulley. If there is an access plate between the seat and the dash, remove it and have a look at the working parts. Many times you can see what's wrong with this cover off and the mower in operation. It may just be that the belt(s) are worn and need to be replaced.

Old 07-26-05, 07:53 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If it is the type Cheese mentioned, these can sometimes stick with the transaxle ingaged and can be tuff to get out with the mower not running. If you can start it and get the F N R lever to N and the speed selector to any position other than Park, and turn it off in this position,you should be able to push it if the brake is not locked.

I have also solved this issue on some occasions by lubing and freeing up the variable speed unit. Sometimes resetting the adjustments for the variable speed will get it going also.
If you can provide the model # I may be able to locate an owners manual that would have the procedure.

Old 07-30-05, 08:57 PM
dalmauvais6
Visiting Guest
Fixed

Thanks for all the help, people. I appreciate it. Apparently there is some type of parking brake device that runs from the speed control lever (not the throttle) to the right rear tire. Somehow that was stuck. I got the rear end off the mower so I could see it and gave it a pull and it worked after that. Again, thanks.

Old 07-31-05, 10:18 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
hmmm...I just found somin new (new to me) on an old MTD, sounds like what u could have...its called an "Incline assistance brake" says to actuate pull and hold. I theorized heheheh it put some more pressure on the variable speed pulley or such to tighten the belt...although it would make more sense I guess now, that it brakes one wheel to allow traction to the other wheel, incline being at an angle sideways as opposed to pointed uphill...ahhh

Thx for the report dalmauvais6, glad u got it!