Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

38" murray...11hp

Visiting Guest

07-26-05, 03:11 PM   #1  
Tennadian
38" murray...11hp

I recently bought an older murray rider. 38" cut..11 hp. It is a 4 speed but, 4th doesn't work. When I use it, it has a bad jerking motion when turning and going up hill. Almost like a slipping belt or loose rear end. Could 3rd gear be ready to give out too, or is it a loose drive belt ...or anything else? Please help!

Sponsored Links

07-28-05, 09:20 PM   #2  
explore belt option first. tighten idler tension by loosening pulley and sliding over to get more tension. i am reasonablly sure its in the back underneath the chassis near the the seat and takes a 9/16 top and bottom. loosen sildeover toward middle and tighten up. ck idler to see if it spins free while your at it. if it was bad it would probably smoke your belt. if this does not tighten tension belt is too streched. as far as transaxles, i had a sears that i drove for years without a reverse. it started slipping going up hills. sometime later it started making a grinding noise. and about this time the left axle started drooping. and that was near the end of that transaxle. if i had to guess i would say transaxle because when i have had belts go bad they slowly stretch out to the point you go slower and slower till it stops and does not matter whether your going uphill or not. when a transaxle is going out they will lunge and jerk.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-28-05, 10:44 PM   #3  
Hello Tennadian!

I would say that your transaxle is the problem. If the belt were the problem, the symptoms would exhibit themselves in all gears. Most likely, the 4th gear is either worn where the shift rails lock onto it and hold it in locked position on the shaft when selected, or the teeth on the gear are jumping. Removal, disassembly, and inspection is the only way to determine the cause and extent of damage. You may be able to find a used one at a small engine shop, or if you're willing to try, it's not terribly hard to repair these trannies when there is enough left of them to repair. I wouldn't suggest it if you don't have much in the way of mechanical skills.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread