Would like to swap engines onto an old Toro mower - what will work?

Old 07-23-05, 03:59 PM
atomicDog
Visiting Guest
Would like to swap engines onto an old Toro mower - what will work?

I have an older Toro rear-bagger push mower that was built in 1988. The model number is 20588-8000001. It has a Tecumseh motor on it, model number TVS100-44011b. I'd like to replace the motor with a new motor. Does anyone know what type of Tecumseh motor will interchange with this one? The newer motors don't use the old TVS designation and I'm unsure of what other Tecumseh motors will interchange with it and bolt onto my existing mower deck and also locate the pull cord and other engine accessories in the proper locations. Would also like to interchange the motor to something a bit larger, too.

Any suggestions as to what new Tecumseh engine I can bolt onto my existing mower deck is appreciated.

Old 07-24-05, 07:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most small engines, as well as Tecumseh, will bolt on. The crankshaft length underneath is the main thing you have to be concerned about because the blade has to run in the same height as the original in relation to the deck.

Old 07-24-05, 11:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yes, most all of them 7hp and under will fit right on as far as bolt patterns, but...

The pull rope orientation; throttle cable connection and operation and length; engine kill/brake cable connection, operation, and length; and diretion of exhaust gasses will vary widely among models. I have no idea which ones will interchange. Visual inspection of other models would yeild the best results. You could try calling tecumseh and ask what engine they reccomend as a current replacement for the engine you have.

Old 07-28-05, 09:51 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i have switched a lot of them out. the main thing is length of crank shaft. if its too short you will mow high. if its too long you will have to raise engine off deck. you can get a drop down blade if its too short. its curved and drops down about an inch. i had to special order one of these when the crank was was too short 2in. instead of 3in. but it works great. thickness of shaft can be important if you dont want to buy another blade and adaptor. i have found that briggs and tecumseh will switch out on decks but the the most important factor is length of crankshaft.

Old 07-29-05, 07:43 AM
atomicDog
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the ideas. I'll get the details of the current motor and look for one that will match, especially the shaft length and diameter. The mower belongs to my Dad and he lives about 100 miles away, so I don't have it in front of me to look at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: