Cub Cadet/Kohler Opinions?

Old 07-28-05, 10:43 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cub Cadet/Kohler Opinions?

Hello:

My 16HP Craftsman is dying....I'm tied of fixing it....so I'm in the market for a new riding mower and looking to purchase the Cub Cadet 1046 w/23HP Kohler V-Twin. It retails for est $1800 and appears (at least on the surface) to be solidly constructed with good a good motor when compared to the Home Depot JD tractors and others machines in the

Old 07-28-05, 05:39 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I think cub is a boxed brand made by John Deere. The ones I have seen seem comparable to equally priced mowers. Kohler I think makes good engines. I have no knowledge of the twins however.
If your craftsman is over 7 or 8 yrs old, you may want to look at the new ones. Depending on your duty, they are still a good buy in my book. American Yard Pro now makes the chassis. And I am still fond of the single cylinder briggs, they offer 16.5hp and 18.5hp. And if you really want the prize on the block they sell a perty orange one that says Husqvarna on it

Not sure what Murray is making now either but have seen some under 5 years old that I have been impressed with, they have twin briggs, not sure who makes the chassis but it is solid.

You may want to consider service also. Kohler dealers in my area are few and do not stock much at all.
If Cub is JD and you need service...well don't get me started.....

Old 07-28-05, 11:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Tom!

Cub Cadet went out of business in the '80s. MTD bought rights to the name and began producing products with the Cub cadet name on them. These are the best mowers in the MTD line and seem to be decent enough. Now, as far as whether they are the best values, I can't really say. I, like Azis, agree that craftsman is still about the best bang for your buck. When comparing apples to apples ($1500 mowers to $1500 mowers), craftsman seems to always have the upper hand. The higher you go in the price range, the mowers get better and tougher. My reccomendation would be one with a honda or kohler engine, electric PTO, and a hydro transmission. This combination usually yields the most trouble-free product, not to mention easy to use. I would also opt for the heavier guage deck.

With the latest design changes on the single cylinder briggs, I personally have not been impressed. The air filter design allows for too much dust to enter the engine because of poor sealing. Too much plastic that warps in the heat under a mower hood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: