3.5HP B&S won't draw gas after running dry

Old 07-31-05, 08:36 PM
Driftwood
Visiting Guest
3.5HP B&S won't draw gas after running dry

I have a maybe 10 year old Lawn Boy tiller with a 3.5HP B&S engine. I ran it dry and then it wouldn't start after refilling. I assumed some dirt in the bottom of the gas tank probably was draw up into the carb and was clogging the fuel intake somewhere. Well I removed the carb from the gas tank (the carb is screwed directly to top of the tank and draws gas from an internal fuel intake stem)and didn't see anything obvious. On one side of the carb there is a little black diaphragm with a few small flaps that seems to act like a check valve for the fuel intake into the carb. I can blow on the fuel intake stem (drawing in fuel from the tank), but can't suck. I imagine that makes sense. Anything else to look at before I take it to a shop? If I prime the carb with starter fluid, it starts and runs for a few seconds until the fluid is gone.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I didn't even know what else to look at-- I was just expecting to find a big clump of dirt somewhere. Thanks-

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-05, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Andy!

Your carburetor has picked up a bit of trash and is clogged. It needs a thorough cleaning.