Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stripped spark plug threads in lawn mower..

Visiting Guest

08-01-05, 12:43 PM   #1  
Mike Burdick
Stripped spark plug threads in lawn mower..

Well I guess its my turn for some bad luck. I replaced the spark plug in my lawn mower and apparently I tightened it too much and stripped the threads in the aluminum head. What is the best method of repair? Is it possible to get a little larger plug and rethread or will a helicoil work? This is a 2-cycle engine so the cylinder is part of the head.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

08-01-05, 01:18 PM   #2  
i strripped out a bolt on an aluminum carb once and took it to small engine shop. he rethreaded it in about 30 seconds and it worked just fine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-02-05, 12:47 AM   #3  
Any way you do it, the head (jug) will need to be removed, so I would reccomend just replacing it. I believe there are helicoils made for this application but I've never used one for a spark plug.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

08-02-05, 05:44 AM   #4  
If the spark plug is a tapered seat then you'll have to replace the jug as there is no thread repair kit for these. If it is a standard, gasket type spark plug then you do have the option to repair the threads. I prefer Recoil brand versus Helicoil brand.

Search this Thread