Craftsman riding mower belt

Old 08-02-05, 09:32 AM
Craftsman riding mower belt

Trying to replace one of two mower belts for an old Craftsman riding mower with a triple deck.

It looks like I have to unbolt at least one of the pulleys to get the belt threaded through the secondary drive belt. Am I missing something or is this likely correct?

Mower is Sears model #917.254720.

Thanks ...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-05, 10:48 AM
i had one of those decks. it seems to get the bottom belt i had to loosen one of the top pulleys to get wiggle room or take a bolt out to slide under neath. i dont remember taking anything completely off just loosening. the bottom belt i only replaced once or twice in five yrs but the top belt i replaced 3or4 times was much easier. but i used the cheap belts not industrial.

Old 08-03-05, 12:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am familiar with that deck, and don't recall ever having to remove a pulley to install either belt. Here is a link to the diagram for the belt routing for your mower: http://www3.sears.com

Type in your model # and select mower and click on view diagram.

Old 08-03-05, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Guess I'll get out the socket wrenches and put the mower up on the blocks. I got the easier drive belt in last year without having to take anything apart but it seems this belt requires a bit more work.

CH